cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

device error "sequence contains no matching element"

Solved!
Go to solution

Hallo,

I just received the VirtualBench and I could use it as I connect it for the first time. I then downloaded and run the program for Window7, so that I would be able to run the program from my PC.

Since then, I cannot work anymore more with the virtualbench. It always give the same error: device error: sequence contains no matching element.....

What it wronf what shall I do?

Note: I read a similar question, but it seemed that the error disppeared somehow for unexplained reason. So, there were actually no solution mentionned for this problem.

Thanks in advance for any support.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(9,578 Views)

From the other thread (http://forums.ni.com/t5/VirtualBench/virtual-bench-quot-system-error-quot-Sequence-contains-no/td-p/... these are the steps you should take:

Attach the application preferences file:

1. Open a file explorer
    2. In the address bar, enter this path (copy/paste can help):
      • XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\National Instruments\NI-VirtualBench
      • Vista, 7, 8: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\National Instruments\NI-VirtualBench
    3. Attach the file ni-virtualbench-preferences.vbconfig to a post here so we can inspect it.

Once you have done that, you should be able to fix the issue by doing the following

1. Use the reset button on the back. The application also uses information stored on the PC when it starts. If the problem is there, then resetting the device alone won't help.
  2. Launch the app.  If it works, you're done.
  3. If the issue was not resolved, you may also need to delete the file mentioned above.
    1. Open a file explorer
      • XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\National Instruments\NI-VirtualBench
    3. Delete the file ni-virtualbench-preferences.vbconfig

Please let me know how it goes and post your preferences file.

------
Zach Hindes
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(9,562 Views)

Hallo,

thank for your answer.

Please find as attachement the desire file.

Hoping you find what you are looking for.

with my best regards

Pierre

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(9,543 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author HB-EUM

Hallo Zach Hindes,

Your idea solved my problem.

After the reset (button on the backside of the virutalbench instrument) I could successfully start again the application. The error message disappeared and I could use interactively the instrument interactively. 

I reinstalled the software on my PC (Win7) and it is also running without problem.

The solution is so simple that I wonder I didn't think at it in the first place....

Then, I would suggest that the developers could add the reset suggestion to the error message. I'm sure , this would help a lot of people.

with my best regards

Pierre

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(9,535 Views)

For anybody that has this problem in the future, we'd really like to get to the root of the problem.  To help with that I have created a small utility that will pull the configurations from your device and save them to files.  These configurations appear to be corrupted in these situations.

The easiest way to use the utility is to run it from the command line.  It will find the first USB VirtualBench on your system and save any configuration files it has to your temporary directory.  For example:
C:\Users\User\Desktop>nivb_cfgutil.exe
Saving files to C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\
Connecting to device 'vbzach'
Found config: ni-virtualbench-preferences.vbconfig
Wrote config to file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\ni-virtualbench-preference
s.vbconfig
Found config: test_cfg.vbconfig
Wrote config to file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\test_cfg.vbconfig
Found config: test_cfg2.vbconfig
Wrote config to file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\test_cfg2.vbconfig

It also has some options that allow  you to specify the device to connect to (either by name, IP address, or hostname), where to put the files, and whether or not to overwrite existing files on your PC.  For example:
C:\Users\User\Desktop>nivb_cfgutil.exe --help
Usage: nivb_cfgutil.exe [options]

Main options:

-h, --help
      Shows help.

-d, --dev=device
      Device name to target.

-o, --out=directory
      Output directory to save config files.  If not specified, the temporary di
rectory is used.

-w, --overwrite
      Overwrite existing files.

What we would like is that when people run into this issue they perform the following steps:

Attach the application preferences files:

1. Open a file explorer
    3. Attach the file ni-virtualbench-preferences.vbconfig to a post here so we can inspect it.
    4. Run the nivb_cfgutil.exe utility attached to this post, and post any *.vbconfig files it creates to a post here so that we can inspect it.

Once you have done that, you should be able to fix the issue by doing the following:

1. Use the reset button on the back. The application also uses information stored on the PC when it starts. If the problem is there, then resetting the device alone won't help.
  2. Launch the app.  If it works, you're done.
  3. If the issue was not resolved, you may also need to delete the file mentioned above.
    1. Open a file explorer
    3. Delete the file ni-virtualbench-preferences.vbconfig

------
Zach Hindes
NI R&D
Message 5 of 5
(9,494 Views)