From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VirtualBench

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirtualBench C API Getting started - Are there examples/documentation somewhere?

I am new to VirtualBench and I saw that there is a C API but cannot find much about it online or any documentation.  Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place.  I have the latest driver installed on my machine.  Is there an example program and documentation somewhere?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,812 Views)

Hi Ejo,

If you install ANSI C support during the NI-VirtualBench driver install, after the install completes you should find a VirtualBench C Reference Help.chm at C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\VirtualBench Documentation as well as example programs at C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\VirtualBench ANSI C Examples.

If you don't see these files currently, you can go to Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> National Instruments Software, find the VirtualBench ADE Support, and do a modify install.

Hope that helps!

Michael Keane
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,783 Views)

Thank you, I found the examples, but I am having trouble getting them to compile.  Can you point me to the location of the nivirtualbench.h file?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(8,740 Views)

I have found the nivirtualbench.h file under C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C

But I still cannot get the example to compile, specifically, niVB_Dig_Example.c

I created a new project in eclipse, pointed it to the correct .h files now, but I am still getting this error:
relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol `niVB_Dig_Close' niVB_Dig_Example line 0 C/C++ Problem

I also tried the niVB_Dig_Example_utf16.c, but I don't have the windows.h file for that example.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(8,737 Views)

You'll also need to link against the import library. I'm not an Eclipse user, so I don't know where specifically in the project options this needs to go (somewhere related to "linker options" probably?), but you'll need to add one of the following:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib32\msvc\nivirtualbench.lib (for 32-bit applications)
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc\nivirtualbench.lib (for 64-bit applications)

For the *_utf16.c examples, windows.h is part of the Windows SDK.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(8,731 Views)

I think I am linking the libs correctly, but I am still receiving those errors.  Below are the actual commands that are getting run from eclipse:

make all 
Building file: ../src/niVB_Dig_Example2.c
Invoking: Cross GCC Compiler
gcc -I"C:\cygwin64\usr\include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\include" -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -mcmodel=medium -fPIC -MMD -MP -MF"src/niVB_Dig_Example2.d" -MT"src/niVB_Dig_Example2.o" -o "src/niVB_Dig_Example2.o" "../src/niVB_Dig_Example2.c"
../src/niVB_Dig_Example2.c:1:0: warning: -fPIC ignored for target (all code is position independent)
 /******************************************************************************
 ^
../src/niVB_Dig_Example2.c: In function 'main':
../src/niVB_Dig_Example2.c:98:17: warning: format '%d' expects argument of type 'int', but argument 2 has type 'size_t {aka long unsigned int}' [-Wformat=]
          printf("Iteration %d:\n", i);
                 ^
../src/niVB_Dig_Example2.c:98:17: warning: format '%d' expects argument of type 'int', but argument 2 has type 'size_t {aka long unsigned int}' [-Wformat=]
Finished building: ../src/niVB_Dig_Example2.c

Building target: niVB_Dig_Example2.exe
Invoking: Cross GCC Linker
gcc -L"C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc" -o "niVB_Dig_Example2.exe"  ./src/niVB_Dig_Example2.o   -lnisyscfg -lnivirtualbench
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b):(.text+0x2): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `__imp_niVB_Initialize' defined in .idata$5 section in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b)
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b):(.text+0x2): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `__imp_niVB_Finalize' defined in .idata$5 section in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b)
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b):(.text+0x2): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `__imp_niVB_GetExtendedErrorInformation' defined in .idata$5 section in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b)
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b):(.text+0x2): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `__imp_niVB_GetErrorDescription' defined in .idata$5 section in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b)
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b):(.text+0x2): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `__imp_niVB_Dig_Initialize' defined in .idata$5 section in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b)
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b):(.text+0x2): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `__imp_niVB_Dig_Write' defined in .idata$5 section in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b)
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b):(.text+0x2): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `__imp_niVB_Dig_Read' defined in .idata$5 section in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b)
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b):(.text+0x2): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_32 against symbol `__imp_niVB_Dig_Close' defined in .idata$5 section in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc/nivirtualbench.lib(nilcicapi.dll.b)
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [makefile:32: niVB_Dig_Example2.exe] Error 1
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,722 Views)

Sorry, those were not the same errors as before, these are new "relocation truncated to fit" errors, which I think indicates either a linking issue or trying to store some very large data in the program, or maybe something else.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,717 Views)

Is it possible for NI to provide a complete working Solution file (for visual studio), a Makefile, or even just the gcc commands used to compile and link the examples properly?  I am having a tough time getting this to work with our new VirtualBench.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(8,706 Views)

Apologies for the delay; I'd been tied up with NIWeek.

Attached is an example project I built with MSVC2017. I built this with the following steps:

• New→Project..., starting from the C++ Empty Project template.
  • Project→Properties
    • Set Configuration: "All Configurations", Platform: "All Platforms":
      • Under "VC++ Directories", added "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\include" to "Include Directories"
      • Under Linker→Input, added "nivirtualbench.lib" to "Additional Dependencies"
    • Set Configuration: "All Configurations", Platform: "Win32"
      • Under "VC++ Directories", added "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib32\msvc" to "Library Directories"
    • Set Configuration: "All Configurations", Platform: "x64"
      • Under "VC++ Directories", added "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\lib64\msvc" to "Library Directories"
  • Project→Add Existing Item...
    • Added "C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\VirtualBench ANSI C Examples\niVB_DMM_Example.c"

I think these steps should be roughly the same for older versions of MSVC.

I also ran into the same format-string warnings you saw when building for 64-bit; when the examples were first made, the current version of MSVC didn't support format-string checking, so we missed that. I filed CAR 648920 for us to update the example to use the correct format string specifiers.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
Message 9 of 11
(8,697 Views)

Thank you for the complete project, it worked right away and I see where I went wrong now. I was able to modify some of the examples to do what I need with the VB. I don't have much experience with Visual Studio or MSVC, so this was a big help.  I think it would be beneficial to others to have a sample project like that bundled with the API.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(8,682 Views)