VirtualBench

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Bench Oscilloscope gives different signal amplitudes for different vertical scales

Hi everybody,

I am new to the virtual bench so please correct me if I am wrong. I am having an issue with measuring signal amplitude using the virtual bench oscilloscope. The oscilloscope gives me different signal amplitude values for the same signal whenever I change the vertical sensitivity (i.e. 10mV / div, 20mV / div, etc.) For example, it gives me 2V p-p if I set the vertical scale to be 10 mV / div but 3V p-p if I change the vertical scale to be 20 mV / div. Could any of you help me with this issue? Thank you a lot for your help.

Ch.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,060 Views)

ChauH. wrote: For example, it gives me 2V p-p if I set the vertical scale to be 10 mV / div but 3V p-p if I change the vertical scale to be 20 mV / div. Could any of you help me with this issue? Thank you a lot for your help.

That sounds like your signal is clipping.  Let's do the math.  At 2Vp-p/10mV/div = 200div.  That sounds way too many.  Are you sure you are not on the 100mV and 200mV scales?  Still, your scales are too small for your signal.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(5,053 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think my signal is clipping though because I did not see any clipped part on the oscilloscope. And I am sorry for not making it clear. The numbers I provided are just the example, not the real data. But that's what happened. For a given signal, no matter how small the signal is, the voltage from the oscilloscope is always lower for a lower vertical scale.

I appreciate if you can help me with this issue. I am stuck on my project now.

Thank you a lot.

Ch.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,016 Views)

Perhaps you should give an actual example that you are seeing for real.  I would expect a little difference just due to how large a step a bit is at the larger scale versus a lower scale (ie you have less resolution at the higher scale therefore the measurement is not as accurate and likely measures higher).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,012 Views)

ChauH. wrote:

I don't think my signal is clipping though because I did not see any clipped part on the oscilloscope. And I am sorry for not making it clear. The numbers I provided are just the example, not the real data. But that's what happened.

Would you add some screenshots from the application when this happens? I'd like to look at the real data and not a hypothetical 😉

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,001 Views)