VirtualBench

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing Full Names of Logic Analyzer Signals in the VirtualBench UI

Hey guys,

I've been messing around with a VirtualBench and have come across a small annoyance.  My logic analyzer signal names are a bit long, and I've found it very difficult to figure out which is which on the UI.  Imagine I have named two signals "ExampleLongDisplayName1" and "ExampleLongDisplayName2":Setup.png

When viewing the digital waveform in the UI, these signals are indistinguishable from one another:

UI.png

I would expect to be able to drag and resize this area to reveal more of the name, or at the very least be able to hover over the text to see the full name, but nothing appears to work.  Am I doing something wrong, or is this a limitation of the current software?

Thanks!

Kyle

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,938 Views)

Hi Kyle,

Your expectation here is completely reasonable. You are not doing anything wrong, and it is a limitation of the current software. I have filed a defect report to capture your issue (these are internal else I'd share with you). I've added a note for someone to follow up on this post when the issue is fixed, though I'm not currently able to give you a timeframe on that since it depends on a number of factors. I very much appreciate the clarity of your post, complete with pictures to boot!

Damon

Message 2 of 5
(4,903 Views)

Come on guys, it's been over  a year since this post with no fix.  Even just letting us choose a smaller/narrower font would be a reasonable temporary fix if you can't be bothered making a proper resizable window.

Message 3 of 5
(3,637 Views)

Hey guys,

So I was able to follow up with that report that was made a year ago, and it is still on the list of actions to take for future patches. However, our R&D department primarily uses severity and the number of reports to determine priority, and so I can't say for sure when this particular issue might have action taken on it. Additionally, I can't really speak to the difficulty of implementation of any of the proposed solutions, but I can say that they are working hard to address as many impactful issues as they can.

Claire C.
AppSW Staff Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
CLD|CTD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,614 Views)

@Thør wrote:

I've been messing around with a VirtualBench and have come across a small annoyance.  My logic analyzer signal names are a bit long, and I've found it very difficult to figure out which is which on the UI.

I would expect to be able to drag and resize this area to reveal more of the name, or at the very least be able to hover over the text to see the full name, but nothing appears to work.  Am I doing something wrong, or is this a limitation of the current software?

Thanks for your patience. This has been addressed in the latest release -- we were able to implement your blue suggestion 🙂

NI-VirtualBench Application and Driver 18.0

http://www.ni.com/download/virtualbench-driver-18.0/8140/en/

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
Message 5 of 5
(3,078 Views)