VirtualBench

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressure / Temperature measurement with Virtual Bench

Hi everyone.

I'd appreciate if you help me out here.

I am completely new to VirtualBench (VB 8012) and Labview.

I am trying to figure out if VirtualBench is available to function as data acquisition station like DAQ when it is hooked up with Pressure/Temperature sensor.

There is not much information regarding my question on Internet and I am the only one who is working on VirtualBench in my lab.

I'd like to know how this device works (work flow) if it can be connected to mechanical measurement sensors in order to detect Pressure/Temperature etc.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,434 Views)

It would really depend on the sensor, but you do have 2 options for measuring a signal: DMM or oscilloscope.  Neither one will do the conversion into physical units for you though.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(4,428 Views)

Sean0908 wrote:
I am trying to figure out if VirtualBench is available to function as data acquisition station like DAQ when it is hooked up with Pressure/Temperature sensor.
I'd like to know how this device works (work flow) if it can be connected to mechanical measurement sensors in order to detect Pressure/Temperature etc.

Hi Sean,

VirtualBench has a Mixed Signal Oscilloscope, which is different than a DAQ device [1].

I would say VirtualBench would be a good tool to explore a sensor's behavior and characterize its response, but not a good tool to log data during a test or experiment. It's a good exploration tool because it has a power supply, a DMM, and scope channels. You can use the power supply to find the excitation value you want to use and measure how much current the sensor requires as it operates. You can use the DMM and the scope to see the steady-state and transient responses from stimuli. However, once you want to install the sensor in its final setup, you will want a DAQ device that can continuously acquire and stream data, which is something the VirtualBench MSO cannot do.

[1] High-Speed Digitizers FAQ :: What is the difference between a Data Acquisition (DAQ) board and a High-Speed Digitizer?

http://www.ni.com/support/digitizers/faq.htm#daq

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
Message 3 of 3
(4,393 Views)