From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VirtualBench

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current level from Digital output?

I am looking into using a virtual bench for a demo with my company. I was just wondering what kind of current levels the digital outputs can supply. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,093 Views)

Read the specificiation.  It clearly states that the DIO can source 4mA.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(4,078 Views)

Thank you for your quick reply. I had not previously been able to find those specifications. They will be quite useful. Looking through it though, does the 3.3v output not supply 20mA instead of 4mA?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,040 Views)

That is correct, the 3.3V output pin on the GPIO connector will source 20mA.  All GPIO signal pins source or sink up to 4mA in normal operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel Larsen

Staff Digital Hardware Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,033 Views)

Just to clarify, are all 8 of the GPIOs able to output 3.3v at 20mA, or is there only one GPIO that is able to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,022 Views)

There is one pin labeled "+3.3V" which is a static supply capable of 20mA.  The 8 GPIOs are each only capable of 4mA drive strength.  So none of the actual GPIOs are capable of 20mA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel Larsen

Staff Digital Hardware Engineer

National Instruments

Message 6 of 6
(3,942 Views)