From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXI over GPIB on LV 2009 + Windows 7 Help

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello.  I have no experience with VXI.

I have a client who hired me to code a VXI product that has been marketed as controlled by GPIB (The Chassis contains a GPIB interface).

I was informed late last night that I must use VXI PnP drivers to make this work.  (Long story, and I am not happy about it).

I am coding LV2009 SP1 on Windows 7.

I have installed NI-VISA and NI-VXI.  I can see the GPIB instrument in MAX.  I can even run the SCPI commands via Max and LabVIEW.  (The problem is that they apparently have not implemented the specific GPIB commands that they published).

They provided a VXI-PNP driver and very vague instructions.  I have installed that driver and I imported their .fp file into LabVIEW.  When I run their init code with the correct GPIB resource passed into the function, I get the same error as when I call a non-existent GPIB device- although it takes longer to return.

I looked for VXI tutorials on the NI site, and there is a LOT of stuff to wade through, and I am not even sure that I have all the necessary drivers.

Anyone know a good place to start reading up?

(And yes, I am dogging the instrument people to help me out too)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(8,002 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jed_Davidow

Hi Jed,

From our conversation with your service request, I wanted to link the documents to this post for assistance with future issues.

Why Doesn't My GPIB-VXI System Show up Properly in MAX?

Getting Started with the GPIB-VXI/C

NI GPIB-VXI/C

Configuring T&M Explorer to Use the GPIB-VXI at a Different GPIB Address?

*NOTE: T&M Explorer is the predecessor to MAX

Regards,

h_baker
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(7,990 Views)

Thank you for the response.  The install info from the vendor was pretty poor.  I ended up getting them on the phone after three days and all I had to do was change the Resource string.  Their documentation had an incorrect example.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(7,987 Views)