VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXI-modules do not show up in MAX when using a HP 1406 VXI-GPIB controller.

When using a HP 1406 VXI controller my VXI modules neither show up in MAX as VXI-devices nor the modules are recognized by the installed soft front panels (device not found). By sending raw GPIB-commands I can communicate with the instruments (Tektronix TVS 600A and VX4790) which are showing up as GPIB-devices. The VISA driver software for all modules is installed in the system, and also I've installed the HP-GPIB-VXI-communication layer.

Wich components do I additionally have to install and how can I check that my system works?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,425 Views)
There are 2 things you should check:

1) The HP 1406 has a limitation where all VXI devices must have a logical address as a multiple of 8. Its resource manager will fail otherwise.

2) You should go into MAX, right-click on Devices & Interfaces, and choose Create New... Specify the GPIB-VXI controller, and then enter the information it asks. You will probably use controller board number 0, primary address 9, and secondary address 0.

If that does not fix the problem, then I recommend using NI Spy, enabling file logging (*not* File>>Save) to capture the calls to a file, and then sending that .spy file to NI tech support.

Hope this helps,
Dan Mondrik
Senior Software Engineer, NI-VISA
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,425 Views)
I have the same problem that VISA doesn't see the VXI device (EXC-1553VXI/EV card from excalibur )under HP 1406 controller.

I'm using VISA API 'viFindRsrc' ( both 16bit & 32 bit )to locate all the devices and then communicate with the devices.
Even though you use MAX to add the device, can the VISA APIs 'viFindRsrc' be able to see the device after wards. How about in 16 bit world?

Urgent!!!
Thank you!!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,425 Views)