From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VME replacement question

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I have an old test fixture that has an obsolete VME controller and I need to duplicate the tester and make a new one.

My question is, can I replace the VME controller with any other board type? like,  for example, a data acquisition card and a PC?

Do I need to use VME/VXI again ? or can I go with a daq card and a PC too?

Not sure if this is possible because of VME signal level (?), but I thought I ask the experts and double check.

much thanks

~ Johnny
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(11,427 Views)

You can replace the VME controller, chassis, and cards with any system you want. The closest type of modern system is PXI. You will have quite a bit of code to rewrite when you replace the VXI/VME system. Can you provide the make and model of the controller and instrument cards?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(11,405 Views)

Hi Dennis... it's a custom VME card cage from a customer and I don't have the make and model number. I only have part numbers.

I thought it has to be controlled by VME type controller again. but now with your answer, I might choose the NI PCI-7334 for replacement. 

~ Johnny
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(11,376 Views)
How can you replace a system if you don't know what the components are? A VME controller is not at all the same as a pci stepper motor control. Is it your intent to replace the entire VXI/VME card card cage, controller, and instrument cards with current technology? A VXI/VME controller is either a stand-alone computer or a link to a external pc. The two different external links I've used with VXI are a GPIB connection or MXI.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(11,369 Views)

Hi Dennis,

Yes, my intent is to replace the entire VME card card cage, controller, and instrument cards with current technology.

The current VME CC has the controller and stepper motor controller that I wish to replace with NI's motion controller board. would that work?

Thanks very much.

~ Johnny
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(11,365 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Johnny-Come-Lately
If the specs for the pci card are the same or better and you are willing to rewrite the software, then I don't see why not.
Message 6 of 10
(11,362 Views)

Hi Dennis... I was worried that the hardware may not work if I planned on ordering NI cards to replace the VME controller and stepper motor driver controller board that is in the card cage.

But with your blessing, I can now plan on ordering the parts and writing programs. 

the original program was never written in LV and in it is in visual basic from 90's era.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

~ Johnny
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(11,356 Views)

Dennis... the VME card cage also talks to UUT thru serial port and also analog port.

Then I might need a card with analog inputs/outputs and another one with serial port that this card doesn't have(?).

so, you're right about the PXI approach, but I rather do it with PC that we already have, with multiple cards too if I have to, because of the cost. 

your thoughts? Thanks.

~ Johnny
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(11,351 Views)
VXI systems have a bit higher hardware cost and are a bit harder to find. However, you would have rewrite and debug all of the old software. Is that within budget? Can you do it in a timely manner?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(11,345 Views)
What vme controller were you trying to replicate?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(10,613 Views)