VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-MXI-2 card freeze the Linux system with Red Hat MRG realtime kernel 2.6.24.7-139.el5rt

Hi,

As the PCI-MXI-2 Universal card is discontinued and is no longer available, so we purchased one PCI-MXI-2 card (Part Number: 777185-01) recently. We are still using the NI-VXI software for Linux (NI-VXI 2.1.0), so we installed the NI-VXI software on Red Hat MRG Realtime 1.2 (kernel 2.6.24.7-139.el5rt), every time the vximod module is loaded, the system freezes. Then I replaced the PCI-MXI-2 card with a PCI-MXI-2 universal card (Part Number: 778580-01) which we purchased a few years ago from NI, with this universal card installed, everything is working fine, the system does not freeze at all. But the PCI-MXI-2 card can work on a very old machine which is our development system and it is running kernel 2.6.16.

My question is why the PCI-MXI-2 card with the NI-VXI 2.1.0 freezes the Linux system 2.6.24.7-139.el5rt, and the PCI-MXI-2 universal card does not? Is there a way to resolve the problem?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,651 Views)

Hi mdsaero,

I just wanted to let you know I'm looking into this. To clarify, the new PCI-MXI-2 card works on the older system?

Allie

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,620 Views)

Yes, the PCI-MXI-2 card does work on an older system which is a Dell PowerEdge 2950, and is running the kernel 2.6.19-rt and using the same NI-VXI 2.1.0.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,615 Views)

mdsearo,

In a system that fully meets PCI spec and provides the corresponding 5V or 3.3V power (depending on the card and slot type), these two versions of the MXI-2 board should be functionally equivalent. Given that the universal board does work in your system and provides a working solution, my recommendation would be to purchase the universal cards for any applications that you have for this system set-up moving forward.

Hope this helps,

Eric K

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,602 Views)

Yes, you are right. But the problem is that NI had discontinued the universal PCI-MXI-2 card and is not available now. The only choice we have is to purchase the 5V non-universal PCI-MXI-2 card.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,598 Views)