VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install VXI/MXI pn RedHat 5

I'm trying to install the VXI/MXI drivers on a Red Hat ENterprise Linux 5 box but I'm getting the following errors when I try to compile the driver.

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-371.3.1.el5PAE/build SUBDIRS=/usr/local/nivxi/src KBUILD_VERBOSE=0 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-371.3.1.el5-PAE-i686'
  CC [M]  /usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.o
In file included from /usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:13:
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:59:42: error: macro "mutex_acquire" requires 4 arguments, but only 1 given
In file included from /usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:13:
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:59: warning: ‘regparm’ attribute only applies to function types
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:59: warning: ‘cdecl’ attribute only applies to function types
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:61:42: error: macro "mutex_release" requires 3 arguments, but only 1 given
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:61: warning: ‘regparm’ attribute only applies to function types
/usr/local/nivxi/src/mutex.h:61: warning: ‘cdecl’ attribute only applies to function types
/usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:128:31: error: macro "mutex_acquire" requires 4 arguments, but only 1 given
/usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:133:31: error: macro "mutex_release" requires 3 arguments, but only 1 given
/usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:146:31: error: macro "mutex_acquire" requires 4 arguments, but only 1 given
/usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.c:158:31: error: macro "mutex_release" requires 3 arguments, but only 1 given
make[2]: *** [/usr/local/nivxi/src/vxi.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/local/nivxi/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-371.3.1.el5-PAE-i686'
make: *** [default] Error 2

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(8,227 Views)

Hi Saldon,

What VXI MXI device do you have? Also, what driver version are you attempting to install?

Regards,

Mike Watts
Product Manager - Modular Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(8,210 Views)

Hardware is PCI-MXI-2, software is version 2.1.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(8,207 Views)

Hi Saldon,

Thank you for the additional information. I reviewed the NI-VXI installation protocols for Linux, specifically page 61 (linked below) and I wanted to check a few things with you. Are you logged in as root? Also, were you able to mount the cd and run the ./INSTALL command? Is this the point that you encounter the error that you pasted in your original message?

NI-VXI Software Installation for Linux

Regards,

Mike Watts
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(8,202 Views)

Yes, I am root. Yes, I can mount the CD and run the INSTALL command and yes, that is where I see the errors. I can re-create these errors by running the make command. We just purchased the drivers from NI a couple weeks ago and the CD does state that is supports the 2.6 kernel. I have a copy of the documentation you linked to and I did follow it during my initial install.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,200 Views)

Hi Saldon,

Thank you for the clarification. So, it looks like Linux kernel version 2.6 is indeed supported by the NI-VXI 2.1.0 driver, but the driver Readme also mentions that the driver has only been tested on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. This information is available in the NI-VXI 2.1.0 Readme and the KnowledgeBase article linked below. 

NI KnowledgeBase Article: Which Linux Kernels Do The Different Versions of NI-VXI for Linux Support?

Also, I spoke with the R&D Product Engineers for these products and they confirmed this information as well. I believe that there is currently work being done to develop a new NI-VXI version that supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, but there is no date available for the release at this time. I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Mike Watts
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(8,198 Views)