cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code 31, Drivers will not install correctly

I am using the following NI PXI cards in a Chroma chassis:

5112 or a 5114

7352 (I think)

I have a Toshiba laptop, Satellite L305D-S5934 running Vista, on which I am trying to install the driver package.  Everything installs fine, with no errors.  When I plug in the expresscard, turn on the chassis, and then boot the computer, the 8360 installs and is recognized in Device Manager and in MAX.  The other two cards will not install.  I get an error code 31 in device manager on the PCI-PCI/PXI bridge stating that Windows cannot load the driver.

I have another Toshiba laptop, Satellite L305D-S5895, which specs out about the same, also running Vista, which runs with no problems at all with the same card, cable, and chassis.  Any previous experience with this issue?  Thanks in advance for any timely help you can offer, and I'll gladly supply you folks with as much info as I can.  Attached is a screen shot of the device manager with the flag and the error message.

-Kyle Jackson

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(11,781 Views)

I've been messing with this and I am stumped.  I don't know why Windows is giving me this error.  If, from the device manager, I uninstall the device with the error, and then uninstall the 8360's PCI Bridge, Windows tries to install the other devices again and fails again.  I have uninstalled the NI drivers and reinstalled them just to make sure, and....fail.  *headdesk*

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(11,765 Views)

Hey Kyle,

When you go into device manager and navigate to the entry giving you that error, can you force the driver installation through the Driver tab? 

Also, are you able to see either of the PXI cards in device manager (they'll probably show up as Unknown Devices)?

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(11,757 Views)

Justin,

I can't force install, and the devices themselves don't show up, unknown or not.  The only error is that shown in the screen cap, on the PCI Bridge.

-Kyle

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(11,746 Views)

Hey Kyle,

It seems like the ExpressCard isn't working properly, based on what you've told me. You say that the ExpressCard shows up properly in Device Manager after installation, but based on that screenshot it looks like it isn't showing up correctly. Is there an NI-MXI entry in device manager after you install? Take a look at this : Developer Zone : What Laptops Have Been Tested with NI's ExpressCard-MXI for PXI and PXI Express?

In looking at this article, I don't see either of the two laptops you mentioned as ones we've tested or have had customer's test. That being said, there might be an issue with the S5934 and not with the S5895. I looked into it a bit more, and the two laptops have completely different chipsets, so it's reasonable to say that one laptop might work and one might not. There are a couple things you'll want to do to try and fix this:

First, make sure you have the most up-to-date BIOS for the S5934. If you still encounter errors, you might want to sign up for the beta program of the NI MXI Express Bios Compatibility Software, which might be able to solve any BIOS incompatibility problems. You can sign up at www.ni.com/beta for that software.

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(11,738 Views)

Justin,

The 8360 does show up in the Device Manager under NI-MXI without errors, it just isn't in the frame on the screen cap I uploaded.  The first thing I did when I thought this might be a hardware issue was check the BIOS version, and it is current.  The BIOS Compatibility Software won't work with my 8360; I've tried it recently on another computer (NI Reference #1365275) we had problems with.  On that computer, everything worked fine until Windows went wonky and I had to reinstall.  Then I got a code 12 on the PCI Bridge.  To make it work, I had to install the 8310 driver, which it the opposite of the usual fix for that error, and it's very buggy. 

I've had high hopes that this was a simple software issue and not a chipset incompatibility.  We are a small OEM, and finding compatible laptops has been hit or miss.  It would be nice if manufactures would offer the EXACT same computer/chipset for longer than a few month.

Any last ditch efforts before I give up on this one?

Thanks for your help,

Kyle

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(11,735 Views)

Hey Kyle,

There are a couple of other things we can try here. First, what version of the PXI Platform Services do you have installed? You might want to reinstall/repair/update that driver, if you haven't already. The latest version is 2.4.2, and can be found here : http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1046/lang/en

Also, what Service Pack version do you have for Vista? What happens when you remove all the modules in the PXI chassis? Do you still get the yellow bang in Device Manager?

I took a look through that service request you referenced, and saw that installing the Cardbus 8310 driver caused the 8360 to work, which is very strange. What happened afterwards that caused you to have to reinstall Windows? This "fix" was for another one of your laptops, but I'm still curious as to what happened to cause it to stop working.

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(11,702 Views)

Justin,

I'll gather the other information and get back to you.  As far as the other problem was concerned, the laptop worked well with the system that uses the PXI, but it was getting buggy with another, non-related system.  I didn't use the computer with our other system so I am not sure what exactly the bug was, but I think it was related to com port issues.  We couldn't get it fixed and we finally decided to just start over and reinstall Windows.  It was then that the Expresscard/PXI stuff gave the code 12.  The 8310 wasn't installed at this time, and Ben and I went through all sorts of stuff.  Finally I figured what the heck and installed the 8310 driver.  It sometimes hangs on boot at the Windows splash screen, but otherwise sees all the hardware.  Totally opposite the usual fix for code 12.  Who knows.

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(11,698 Views)