From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can SOMEONE change MXI-2 SYSRESET* de-assert time (now 2^24 cycles, but need ~2^96 (about 4 seconds)?) when used with external clock?

I'm using a Rubidium clock to drive a VXI-MXI-2 External Clock. Unfortunately, the rubidium source inhibits it's output for about 2 seconds. The MXI-2 SYSRESET* line is de-asserted "2^24 cycles" after turn-on (about 800ms). My system locks up before the rubidium is ready! I need to change the period that the MXI-2 asserts the SYSRESET* line to about 3 seconds, 4 to be sure. Any ideas? It would be NICE if NI could change the MXI-2 operation to assert the SYSRESET* line until the Ext Clk was stable (when used in the Ext Clk mode). Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,916 Views)
Hello Greg,

Unfortunately, the timing of the VXI-MXI-2 cannot be adjusted to support a longer SYSRESET* assertion. I would first suggest that you check with the manufacturer of the Rubidium clock device since it is a VME spec. requirement that any device needing a longer SYSRESET* should actually assert that line directly itself (Permission 5.4 of the VME spec).

Despite that, if it were possible, NI would have gladly provided a method to lengthen the SYSRESET* assertion if reasonably possible. However, after reviewing the hardware design, I have verified that adjusting the timing of the SYSRESET* line is not physically supported on the VXI-MXI-2. Short of redesigning the hardware (we checked thoroughly), the board simply cannot adjust it's own SYSRESET* asertion t
ime.

I recognize that having the flexibility to do this would indeed resolve your situation, and I have filed a request that R&D consider this feature in future designs to accomodate out-of-spec. devices.

Unfortunately, I also recognize that this doesn't resolve your situation now, but again, the device manufacturer would be a better place to start so that they can correct the operation of their board.

Best Regards,
Josh Hernstrom
VXI Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,916 Views)