From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can 16 and 32 bit versions of VISA exist on the same computer?

We have an application that we need to utilize both 16 and 32 bit versions however we are having problems with the 16 bit version reporting (no) VXI instruments through viFindRsrc - even though Resman reported the existance of such cards. Any ideas? Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,866 Views)
My recommendation is to move to all 32-bit if possible. The 16-bit version of NI-VISA is no longer supported. I think the latest version is 1.1, from 1997. So if you encounter any problems, you're pretty much on your own.

Now with the disclaimer out of the way, here's what you would need to do. The NI-VXI driver must be 16-bit, on Windows 9x, and you must install the NI-VXI thunking/compatibility layer version 1.1:
ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/vxi/drivers/Archive/atmxi/win95_98_thnkr/1.1/

You must install NI-VISA for Windows 3x version 1.1:
ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/visa/drivers/Obsolete_drivers/win16/1.1/

You can install any 32-bit NI-VISA for Windows (9x) version that you want. I recommend the latest version, since we always have bug fixes, but we
haven't tested against the thunking layer in the last couple of releases.

If what is on your current system is a 32-bit-native NI-VXI driver, then 16-bit VXI applications just will not work. The Windows architecture makes this difficult if not impossible. NI does not support this combination.

Good luck,
Dan Mondrik
Senior Software Engineer, NI-VISA
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(5,866 Views)