VI Analyzer Enthusiasts Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analyzer Config File

If the tests stay the same between versions, LV2013 and LV2015, is there a way to maintain one configuration file (.cfg) so that all the settings are modified in one spot?  I don't want to have to maintain settings for all the possible LV versions.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,169 Views)

VI Analyzer configuration files (.cfg) are not version-dependent, so a .cfg file saved in 2013 should open just fine in 2015 with all the same settings applied. Let me know if you find this is not the case.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,707 Views)

Unfortunately I started with the .cfg file in 2015.  So I assume the best thing would be to maintain the .cfg in 2013 only and try opening it up in 2015.

Will this work if there are tests missing or renamed for some reason?  I don't plan on working like this but you never know.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,707 Views)

You can try to be sure, but I think a .cfg file saved in LabVIEW 2015 should load in LabVIEW 2013 without issue.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,707 Views)

I just tried loading a 2015 CFG file into 2013 and I got the message that is attached.  I tried to insert the image into this text, but when I did the text disappeared.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,707 Views)

Thanks for the additional info. Yeah, I guess since these are LabVIEW Datalog files, there's a chance that the format will change between versions. But I guess they're still backwards compatible, since I've always been able to open really old .cfg files in the latest LabVIEW version.

So yes, to answer your original question, it looks like you'll need to save your .cfg files in the earliest LabVIEW version you plan to support.

And if it helps, here's a CFG File Exporter utility I wrote a while back that can give you all the internal contents of the .cfg file, if you need that for any tooling you're putting together.

Message 6 of 13
(5,707 Views)

Darren,

I am using the attached VI to convert the test .llb files I created from LV2015 to LV2013.  After I create and moved the new files and generated a new .CFG in LV2013, I ran your CFG File Exporter on the LV2015 and LV2013 .cfg files.

For some reason the test paths for my LV2013 tests are showing up as the LV2015 test path.  Is this right or is something wrong with the VI that you posted?  I thought the issue might be with my new libraries, but the paths are showing up like that with the pre-built tests also.

I have attached the .cfg file that I generated for LV2013 also.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,707 Views)

The paths to tests in the .cfg file are relative to the LabVIEW folder. So if you run the CFG Exporter in 2015, it will give the 2015 paths to the tests. If you run the CFG Exporter in 2013, it will give the 2013 paths to the tests. Let me know if you find otherwise.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,707 Views)

Darren,

Yes the paths appear relative based on where you run it from.  I guess I will just ignore that information.  I have created a VI that compare two .CFG files and show what is missing or different between them.  That will at least be able to tell me what I need to modify between the two so I can get the LV2013 version setup like the LV2015 version I started with.

There has to be a better way of managing this.  My goal is to create tests for everyone in the company to use for code review.  In addition make sure they have a configuration file they can use before they start the VI analyzer tests.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,707 Views)

The way that most organizations manage this is to have template .cfg files with all the proper tests configured, but no items added. They then place this .cfg file in the root project folder at the start of the project, and configure the .cfg with project items and test selections/configurations appropriately for that project.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,707 Views)