From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

UVLabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable To Talk to Power Meter Via GPIB

Hello all.

I have Labview 2016 installed. NI Max installed. I am using a Agilent 82357B USB to GPIB converter. I have only 1 device on the GPIB interface. It is an Agilent E4418 power meter.

When I installed the Agilent/Keysight IO library, I specifically set it to be the Secondary option on the bus.

NI Max sees:
ASRL1::INSTR "COM1"

ASRL3::INSTR "COM3"

and the GPIB interface and power meter (GPIB address 13) as GPIB0::13:INSTR "Power Meter."

If I open the VISA Test Panel, and select IO Control, I can send a "*IDN?" query and get the appropriate response.

HOWEVER, if I drag GPIB0::13:INSTR in to a VI, and select 'Refresh', I no longer see the interface.

Anybody know why I cannot see the interface in Labview?

Thanks,

-Shawn

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,429 Views)

Hi Shawn,

Where do you work in SLC?  I can come by for an hour or so and see if I can help you get up and running.  My email is bryan@endigit.com.  Can you send me your contact info and we can set up a time for me to come help?

Bryan Heslop

Endigit

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,396 Views)

All,

Bryan was able to help me out. The "problem" (as I understand it) was that in LabView the Agilent GPIB interface was actually being used and addressed as a VISA interface.

Once we used the Instrument IO | VISA writes and reads (instead of the GPIB commands) I was able to communicate with the instrument.

Until yesterday...

I am doing the self instruction lessons that NI offers. I'm in Lesson 8 now. In this lesson, you open NI Max and install the DAQMx suite. Then you select the NI PCI-6225 as an instrument.

I completed that lesson and tried to talk to my power meter at GPIB address 13.

I am unable to communicate via GPIB.

I think the reason is NI Max has now moved my GPIB0::INTFC to "? Miscellaneous VISA Resource"

As a result, in a VI, the GPIB port is no longer seen as an interface.

Does anybody have any idea how to get my GPIB interface back in to a VI?

Screenshots are attached.

Thanks,

-Shawn

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,262 Views)

Disregard.

I figured it out. The problem was I powered down the power meter, then rebooted the PC.

Once the PC came up, I ran NI Max with the power meter still turned off.

Later, I turned on the power meter, refreshed several times and never saw the power meter.

I took a break from it and left the power meter on. I woke up the PC, restarted NI Max, and my power meter appeared in Devices and Interfaces as it did before.

Tip: Make sure your instruments are powered on before running NI Max.

I hope it helps someone else,

-Shawn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,258 Views)