From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot change IP address of NI USRP 295xR

I have 3 NI USRP2950R devices and 3 NI USRP2952R devices. Until recently I was able to see the devices using the configuration utility, change the IP addresses and update the image. For some reason 4 out of my 6 devices will no longer respond to an IP address change. I can find the devices and type in a new IP address. The configuration utility then says that the IP address is changed and asks me to power cycle the device. However, after power cycling the device, it appears again at the old IP address.

A similar issue happens when i try to update the image. IT will go through the procedure, tell me to power cycle, but once that's done, the image is as before.

Any idea what could be happening? Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,932 Views)

Hi,

1. Did anything change on your machine software or hardware wise in between?

2. Can you try changing the IP address with just one device connected to the system?

3. Can you run the following utility via command line with just the problematic device connected to the machine post the output here?

Run uhd_usrp_probe in a elevated command prompt from NI USRP install location. Usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-USRP\utilities"

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,909 Views)

>> 1. Did anything change on your machine software or hardware wise in between?

It is a new computer, but switching back to the laptops i've used before did not make a difference.

>> 2. Can you try changing the IP address with just one device connected to the system?

Yes, that is exactly what i tried

>> 3. Can you run the following utility via command line with just the problematic device connected to the machine post the output here?

Ah, I am at home now (it's friday evening in europe) so from memory....  "the image is not correct. Expected compatibility number 19, but found compatibility number 13."

Just for clarity, the NI USRP 2950R and 2952R are both based on the Ettus X310. Only the daughtercards are different.

All of these units, out of the box, will show in the configuration tool as an "**X300" and the tool will say "UPDATE NEEDED".

When everything goes well, like for two of my 2952R devices, things go as follows:

I updated the image using the configuration tool. The image i used is the X310 image which comes with NI USRP 15.0.

After that they are listed in the tool as "NI USRP 2952, 120MHz" or something like that and it will no longer say that an update is needed.

The device functions fine and i can change the IP address.

However with my 2950R devices, after following the same procedure above, they are still listed as "**X300", still with the "UPDATE NEEDED". And I cannot change the IP address.

I know there are many version of the X310 image, they have the same file name, but are different releases. I have a gut feeling that I am not loading the correct release, however, NI does not provide instructions which release of firmware can be used with which model / serial number of device.

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,901 Views)

I would call in support in case the suggestion below does not work.

Use the command line utility found in the same location as the uhd_usrp_probe to program the device with new image:

usrp_x3xx_fpga_burner --addr <IP address> --fpga-path "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-USRP\images\usrp_x310_fpga_HGS.lvbitx"

You can also run usrp_x3xx_fpga_burner --help to get the utility's options.

Restart device. Check if problem persists.

Note that it should be the only device connected to the machine to be safe.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,887 Views)
1. Be sure you have downloaded the latest driver
2. Update to the latest firmware for thr x310 (not x300)
3. Reboot the device

Older drivers may not work.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,882 Views)

Gentlemen,

thanks for trying to help. I finally figured out what happened. The EEPROM was corrupted. One of the entries in the EEPROM is the "revision". For my devices this should have been "6", but in fcat was 99 and for another one 48 and for yet another one 30-something. I do not know how these entries of the EEPROM could have become corrupted, but I suspect the NI configuration tool. It happened after using this tool repeatedly. When this happens, there will be a conflict between the image loaded on the device and the "revision". It will also cause the device to not be recognized by the configuration tool, that is, it will remain **X300.

Forcing the revision back to 6, by using the command below fixes this problem....

usrp_burn_mb_eeprom --args="recover_mb_eeprom" --values="revision=6"

Two of my other devices were "bricks" and thos i was able to get back online by using the on-board JTAG programmer. Very easy to use and contrary to the guides on the ettus website, you will not need any software from Xilinx. Just the programmer software from Digilent is sufficient.

Message 6 of 6
(4,820 Views)