From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a faster way for TDMS-to-Excel conversion?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am logging my received packets using TDMS blocks, since it is suggested that low-level I/O is the fastest. Since I need the data in Excel formal, after I finish my experiment, I run a small code that uses 'Read from measurement file' and 'Write to measurement file' blocks to convert TDMS to Excel.

This conversion is taking too long, e.g. 15 minutes to port 1 million bits from TDMS to Excel (I am logging packets in their binary form, 1's and 0's).I attached the conversion VI.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know any faster way for conversion from TDMS into Excel?

2. I need the 'Read from measurement file' block in my conversion code since received packets are logged into TDMS in the form of a single vector, and I need to convert that very long vector into a matrix where each row is one received packet. Is it possible to do logging into TDMS in the form of a matrix, instead of a single vector? This might be slowing down my code a lot.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,988 Views)
Solution
Accepted by filipfilip

Hi filipfilip,

Have you considered using the TDM Excel Add-In? You could then save the resulting Excel workbook and get the file format you want. 

More information can be found here:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4906/en/

There's a solution on this forum post too that can let you do this automatically. I don't know how much faster it would be than your current method but I think it would be worth giving it a go. 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Convert-Import-TDMS-to-Excel/m-p/1088746

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks, 

Charlotte N. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,965 Views)

Thanks! I see that the Excel table is a single-column one , instead of a matrix. but that can be easily fixed. Thanks once again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,954 Views)

No worries, good luck with the rest of your project!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,952 Views)