cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USRP RIO 2953R update firmware

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

We are using NI USRP RIO 2953R with LabView 32bit. We try to run the example VI "niUSRP EX Rx Continuous Async.vi", but it returns a error message in the GUI. 

niUSRP Open Rx Session.vi<ERR>A runtime or configuration error occurred.
Code: 1440
Details: RuntimeError: Expected FPGA compatibility number 0x6, but got 0x9.0:
The FPGA build is not compatible with the host code build.
As an Administrator, please run:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\UHD\lib\uhd\utils\uhd_images_downloader.py"

I suppose I need to perform some firmware update in order to run the example VI, because it says it indicates so in the NI USRP Configuration Utility. Please also the attached picture. However we are not sure which image file to upload or burn. On the other hand, we also find that the manual suggests not updating the firmware for NI USRP 294x or 295x if we want to modify the FPGA behaviour?

Do you know how shall I deal with it?

Rui

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 28
(9,323 Views)

I haven't seen that error before; were you able to run the utility mentioned in the last line of the error message?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(9,284 Views)
Solution
Accepted by wang78

Hi,

1. Make sure that "Update Needed" message persists even after device restart and and re-enumerating the device using the NI-USRP Configuration Utility.

2. If the message persists, go to the "Image Updater" tab.

3. And select the device that you want to update the image on. Once you select the device the image path would get automatically updated. If it does not browse to this image path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-USRP\images\usrp_x310_fpga_HGS.lvbitx"

4. Write this image to the device.

5. Reboot the device and re-enumerate it and verify that the "Update Needed" message no longer exists.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 28
(9,272 Views)

If its connected to your PC by PCI Express, rebooting the device will also require you reboot the computer.  PCIe periphaerals must be up and running in order for the PC BIOS to recognize them and assign resources at boot-up.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(9,259 Views)

Interestingly I am able to run the sample VIs without firmware update, by connecting the USRP 2953R to a host PXI. 

Previously I have been working with a laptop through the Ethernet cable.

I tried the Ethernet connection on the host PXI also, and it ended with the same type of error message.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28
(9,251 Views)
Solution
Accepted by wang78

PCIe will automatically update the latest firmware temporarily to make it all work.  Ethernet has to boot with the correct firmware. So ethernet should work if you flash it as recommended.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(9,241 Views)

Hi, 

i have a similar problem but i using NI-USRP 2943R and labview communication 2.0.

and i've tried the steps.

the problem is, when i click "Image Updater" tab that the "NI-USRP configuration utility" window has stopped working. then i tried update manually via NI-MAX with the same file "usrp_x310_fpga_HGS.lvbitx". but there aren't difference in the NI-USRP configuration utility.

have you any solution about my problem?

Thanks,

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(7,170 Views)

Hi~

I haven't worked on the USRP for a while now, so I couldn't remember the details to solve my problem.

I suggest you talking with NI application engineer.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(7,157 Views)

Hi,

It is odd that you can't get to the "Image Updater" tab in the configuration utility. Can you tell us what version of NI-USRP you're using? It could help to update to the latest version of that driver. Perhaps that could fix the weird behavior you're seeing with the configuration utility. 

Link to NI-USRP 16.1: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-usrp-16.1/6525/en/

James F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(7,143 Views)

Hi,

I use NI-USRP 16.0 version that i've update from NI-MAX. The problem happends only when i connect the USRP 2943R hardware to my laptop.

did you have any advice for my problem? it may very helpful for me, becase i've tried solve this problem for 2 weeks

may be it's needed to diagnose the problem

Spesification:

-windows 7 professional (64bit)

-Labview communication 2.0

-USRP 2943R

Thanks,

Irfan R.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(7,139 Views)