From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USRP N210 connect via GIGABIT SWITCH

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

A small question to make it easier to work.
i'm using 2 computers now, one for internet and one to work with the USRP.

Isn't it possible to connect my computer AND usrp to a gigabit switch so i can use internet and at the same time the USRP?

The subnet that i receive is 10.67.49.1, so i assign 10.67.49.2 to my USRP.
Then my computer is assigned a random ip adress in the range of the DHCP -here .137- but i can't see the USRP (not in cmd > arp -a , not in de usrp config util). Even when i change my computer's IP to : 10.67.49.3 it doesn't work..

But when i connect the usrp to my computer and use use the static IP, it does recognise it...?? Or is it just not possible... ?

USRP n210
Windows 7 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,159 Views)

Hello,

I am Ed from National Instruments Applications Engineering. I have been forwarded your query which I am happy to assist you with.

I would at first glance believe that this should indeed operate through a Gigabit switch successfully. Could you please provide, further to the selected IP Address the whole network configuration of both the USRP as it appears in NI MAX and also the Computer network settings which you can provide by copying and pasting into a text document and attaching, the results of running "ipconfig /all" in command prompt.

This will assist me in confirming that the network configuration is setup correctly which I believe would be the primary cause of the issue.

Best regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,137 Views)

Hi Ed, 

Thank you for your help.

In the annex 4 .txt-files:

1) PC_with_internet: my computer connected to the switch and i have internet connection

2)PC_with_USRP: computer (192.168.10.1) connected to USRP (with original IP: 192.168.10.2). arp -a works in Ni config sees it
3) PC_WITH_USRP_NEWNET: computer ( 10.67.49.134 fixed) with USRP new ip ( 10.67.49.139). arp -a works in Ni config sees it
4) PC_WITH_INTERNET_USRP_TO_SWITCH: pc with fixed ip to switch doesn't give me internet, So i enabel dhcp and receive ip (10.67.49.137), the usrp is also connected to the switch but the lights don't lit-up.

Maybe it's because i can't acces the network with a static IP adress? that explains why the USRP's network lights don't lit up...

Thanks in advance
laurent

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,127 Views)

I've never been able to access the internet with a static IP address, but I imagine there's probably some way to do it. I just use my laptop so I can connect via ethernet to the USRP and use WiFi for internet. 

Message 4 of 12
(7,123 Views)

Hello,

Okay, thank you for sending through the data. I would largely suspect that this is a configuration issue with the USRP. If you set both the USRP and laptop to obtain IP addresses automatically or through DHCP, does this resolve the issue?

Could you also provide a screenshot of the Network settings in NI MAX of the USRP settings?

If DHCP does work then you can then set to static IP addresses with the newly assigned settings.

Best regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,094 Views)

Ed, 

I'm installing NI MAX right now and will test it first thing in the morning.

I didn't know the USRP could get an IP-adress assigned... I always used the NI USRP CONFIG UTIlL to detect it... there I can only change the STATIC IP..

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,087 Views)

Ed,

The NI MAX application doesn't find the USRP.. only NI-DAQmx devices...

grtz

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(7,075 Views)

Hello,

The USRP device will be listed under Remote Devices not My System -> Devices and Interfaces, as it is a device over the network which runs it's own operating system.

Best regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(7,073 Views)

Ed,

The config util sees it, NI MAX doesn't 😕 see annex

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(7,069 Views)

Hello,

It is not an NI-DAQmx device, it is a RIO device and appears under Remote Systems not My System. Note: you will need to be directly connected to the USRP from the Computer for this stage since we will be modifying the network settings and have only been able to connected via this method.

Best regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(7,067 Views)