USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RDS transmission using USRP

is there any VI for RDS/FM transmission using USRP? I have the FM/RDS toolkit but it is designed for RFSG devices. What is the best way to convert this VI to be compatible with USRP?  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,945 Views)

Hi Gerard and welcome to NI Forums!

You most certainly can use the toolkit for USRP, you only have to keep in mind that is is designed for RFSG in mind. What you can do is separate the hardware control, so instead of using niFM RFSG Create and Download Waveform, you can use 

niFM SG Create Waveform (Complex Cluster), and send the resulting waveform to the USRP. Here you will find an example of this using another directly not supported hw (the PXIe-5451)

Kind regards:

Andrew Valko

NI Hungary

Andrew Valko
National Instruments Hungary
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,922 Views)

Thank you for your fast reply. I actually did this, however I need to know two things:

1) How should I configure the RDS block to transmit RDS? (deviation frequency, Call Letter (I live in Lebanon), etc...)

2) Should I only connect the waveform to the USRP Tx Data block? (I attached a picture: RDS system is in the upper part. The lower part is an FM VI I got from the forum and I am combining them)

3) Please note that from the FM-RDS transmit VI, I am only using the RDS part by deleting the inputs blocks for the FM system, but only setting the FM stereo option enabled. Is this the correct way to do it? (I am not feeding the FM waveform to the USRP for testing purposes)

4) I am setting the modulation frequency and all the required configuration outside the loop as indicated in the figure. Please let me know if it is the correct way to do it.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,896 Views)

Hello geradtouma,

which FM RDS toolkit version have you got to complete the task successfully?

kind regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,069 Views)