USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Informations about USRP RIO

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking for some informations about USRP RIO.

- First, is it possible to run VIs for NI-USRP in a USRP-RIO without any change ? Or some modifications will be requested ?

- If we modify the FPGA design, how can we reset it ? By loading the FPGA image with the NI USRP configuration utility ?

Thanks for your answers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,343 Views)

Hi Cheetor,

1. Yes, you can run code that you developed for the NI USRP 292x/293x on your USRP RIO using the host based NI-USRP driver.  There is no modification needed to the hardware, but you need to use the 1.3 version of the driver.  Note: if you modify the FPGA, you will need to reflash the shipping version of the FPGA image back onto the unit to use the host based driver.

2. If you modify the FPGA and want to reset it, you are correct, you can use the NI-USRP configuration utility (once again, this requires driver version 1.3).

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,331 Views)

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your answers.

I was also looking for the different connectivity kits, but something is confusing me.

All the cases are speaking about a connection from PCIe x4  to a laptop, a computer or a rugged chassis with MXIe x4 cable.

However, I can see in the whitepaper " Overview of the NI USRP RIO Software defined Radio" and on the ni-usrp help that two gigabit ethernet ports are also available.

Is it possible to use those ports instead of the connectivity kit with Ni-USRP 1.3 drivers ? If no, what kind of applications are they dedicated for ?

Is ti possible to use those ethernets ports in combination with the PCIe ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,203 Views)

You are correct, there is a cabled PCIe x4 connection and 2 SFP+ connections.  SFP+ is not supported in all configurations but may in the future.

USRP RIO does not currently support the use of multiple bus interfaces at the same time.

NI USRP RIO Connnections    updated 8/19/2014
  LabVIEW Host Driver
(NI USRP Driver)
LabVIEW FPGA
(NI USRP RIO Driver)
Cabled PCIe supported supported
1 GigE (SFP+) supported on port 0 -
10 GigE (SFP+) supported on port 1 -

1 GigE Connectivity Kit: SPF+ Adapter and standard ethernet cable

10 GigE Connectivity Kit: Integrated SPF+ asapter and cable as a single device

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4