USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't connect the USRP2 with my computer.

Hi!

I want to connect the Ettus Research USRP2 with my computer using the NI-USRP Utilities application.

But I encounter some promble, the NI-USRP Utilities application can't find the device.

I refer to the teaching of this web site. (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375717a.pdf)

1. Installing the software:

Labview 2011

Labview Modulation Toolkit 4.3.2,

Labview Digital Filter Design Toolkit,

Labview MathScript RT Module,

and NI-USRP 1.0.

2. Default IP Address:

Host Ethernet Interface IP Address 192.168.10.1

Host Ethernet Interface Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Disable the firewall settings

The NI-USRP Configuration Utility can not find the USRP2.

And then I try to use the "uhd_find_devices" for finding the USRP2,

the result is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-USRP\utilities>uhd_find_devices
Win32; Microsoft Visual C++ version 9.0; Boost_104400; UHD_003.002.003-vendor

No UHD Devices Found

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 40
(10,765 Views)

Hello Mic -

Its important that you first flash the firmware of the USRP2.  Use the NI USRP Configuraiton Utility found under Start >> All Programs >> National Instruments >> NI-USRP >> NI-USRP Configuraiton Utility

1. Run the utility

2. Insert the memory card into your computer

3. Flash the card

4. Place the Flash card back in the USRP2

5. Plug it in

The flashing process is outlined in greater detail on Page 18 of the user guide.

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375717a.pdf

Please let us know if this resolves the problem.

Best Regards,

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 40
(10,757 Views)

Hi, Erik!

I can connect my USRP2 with my computer now.

I missed this important thing that you told me.

Thank you for resolving my problem. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 40
(10,745 Views)

Hello

I want to connect the NI USRP-2920 with my computer which OS is Windows 7 professionnel. My system runs with a computer which OS is Windows 7 famillial, but I encounter some promble with OS Window 7 professionnel. 

Please let us know if this resolves the problem.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 40
(10,574 Views)

Hello -

Please elaborate on the problems you are encountering.  I am running NI USRP-2920 very successfully on both Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit Professional. In both cases I use LabVIEW 2011 32 bit.

Do you see error messages or odd behavior?

Regards,

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 40
(10,569 Views)

My transfers of sample is passed to my computer to 4MS/s. Or, I want 20MS/s over a standard Gigabit Ethernet connection

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 40
(10,563 Views)

I'm struggling to gain enough information about the challenges you are having in order to propose a solution.  So far I understand:

1. things were working in Windows 7 Family but not in Windows 7 Professional

2. you've got things working in Windows 7 Professional as well, sampling at 4MS/s but having troulbe achieving an IQ rate of 20 MS/s

We've found that several factors improve performance streaming performance:

1. Change the computer from the default 'balanced' power setting to 'high performance'

2. Turn off your virus scanner and other memory/processor intense programs

3. Use the built-in ethernet port on your motherboard rather than an add-on card (performance varies by chipset vendor as well)

In order for us to provide more assistance, please help us understand the applicaiton, its requirements, and the challenges that you have encountered.

For example:

Are you performing  RX and/or TX

Are the windows versions loaded on two different computers? (through put is affected more by CPU and Ethernet chipset than Windows version)

Is LabVIEW providing an error message?

What steps are needed to reporduce the error?

Best Regards,

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 40
(10,558 Views)

I'm intern, the problem is:

--> The communication between usrp and a PC (running with Windows  7 Familial) runs properly.

-->2nd case: I use another PC(with Windows 7 Professional) and when recording an I/Q demodulation, I can't have the desired flow rate (20MS/s). The error message indicates an overfload and the performance of my PC incates that the network is satured.

Now, I haven't the laptop(with Windows 7 Professional), so I can't say you my problems precisely. However, persons who are worked on USRP say me that they have already checked your 3 conditions .

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 40
(10,549 Views)

In addition to the 3 things that Erik mentioned, there is also a registry key that you can change to help increase the performance.  Please see "Data Streaming Performance Tips" in the NI-USRP Help document.

It is important to remember that the streaming performance of your system can very from computer to computer.  It will be dependent on the quality of the Ethernet port, the hard drive itself, as well as the processor.  I have attached some code that can be used as a way to help benchmark your system.  It is a very basic program that uses a USRP to receive data and then writes that data to disk.  It will test out how fast your machine can receive the data and the maximum write speed of your computer.

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 40
(10,537 Views)

Hello,

People who are working on this problem before me, they have already  changed these parameters (with informationsfrom NI France). But the system always put on in overflow.

Also, my PC verify system requirements .

Thanks

Yann

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 40
(10,522 Views)