USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: Simple AM RX/TX?

Its now been four days and still no response from the service request. Does NI not have an example for AM? It seems to me that quite a few people have NI-USRP's, has no one tried to receive a transmitted AM signal?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(2,765 Views)

Hi Kyosake, have you heard back yet on the service request?  Unfortunately we haven't been able to find a standard USRP AM example, but are experimenting with FM examples.  You could potentially experiment yourself with the FM examples found at ni.com/examples to ensure that the HW is functioning properly.

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(2,741 Views)

I was told it was being worked on three days ago. . .

I have experimented with the the FM examples but I cant seem to get anything but static.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(2,736 Views)

Hmm have you been able to use this USRP for other applications successfully in the past?  Can you use the standard shipping examples to simply transmit and receive data?

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(2,723 Views)
Yes, i have been able to use the examples. The examples are a bit overwhelming complicated though. If i can get a basic am transmission and reception working, it would greatly increase my understanding of how this equipment works. I dont want to rely on modifying other people's code.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(2,719 Views)

Hi Kyosake,

We've been looking over some other customers' issues in the past when dealing with AM with a USRP, and it sounds like the mismatch in signals may actually be expected behavior on USRP due to a combination of LO Leakage that needs to be compensated for, and a DC offset that needs to be introduced on the receiving end. NI USRPs are based on Zero-IF Architecture. LO feed-through is expected behavior from these type of architectures. The corrections are done digitally to suppress LO feed-through.  

Please test the attached VIs, which should be able to provide the necessary compensation.  The receive VI includes the following modifications--

1. Use the undocumented function to turn off an unwanted filer
  2. Add a constant of 1 to the received signal to create a necessary DC offset
  3. Use a USRP property node to move the LO out of the way--specifically set the LO to a value near to, but not exactly the carrier frequency (eg 1 MHz away).  Try experimenting with different LO values

In terms of understanding generic USRP functionality, you can refer to the following link--http://www.ni.com/usrp/getting-started/

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Download All
Message 16 of 19
(2,700 Views)
Thanks a lot! I'll give it a go and report back within a few days.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(2,688 Views)

Can you help me check whether my vi is correct or not? I didn't get the desired results:the Modulation Depth(%) =0.3, the amplitude of Rx singal =0.3, when I send the Tx singal(the Modulation Depth(%) =0.3).
I didn't know whether the carrier amplitude through MT Demodulate AM VI is correct or not? Or get the carrier amplitude from other method.

Please tell me how can I modify it!

Why aren't equal in the amplitude of Tx and Rx signal????

Thank you!

Tx.pngRx.png

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(2,616 Views)

The modified code works great, I did however have to replace the code with a MATLAB script because I couldn't run a math node. Now, I'm going to see if I can playback the received signal. I also need to look more into LO leakage and the required DC offset to fix it, as they are a new concept to me.

School just started, so I wont have a whole lot of time to experiment with the VI's, but if I have any further questions or figure out the playback I will post here.

Torry, hopefully one of the NI guys can answer your question since I am still working on understanding how AM works on the USRP's.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(2,609 Views)