From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ettus research N210 - NI Labview driver

I am using the Ettus research USRP N210 with LFTX/RX daughter boards. I was informed by NI representatives that it is compatible with labview if I download the NI driver software. I need assistance accessing the driver software and the installation procedure.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(9,378 Views)

I recommend the following guide:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13880/en/

The different is that you will need to use property nodes to setup USRP config parameters sinc there is no LO (local oscillator) on the LFRX/TX or the BasicRX/TXdaughterboards.

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(9,375 Views)

Hey!

I got an N210 from Ettus and the SBX daughterboard. My intention is to use LabVIEW with that. I used the NI-USRP configuration utility to burn the FPGA and firmware images, but the device will simply not send anything. According to what Erik replied to the initiator of this thread it might be necessary to use property nodes to configure the USRP, but it holds for LFRX/TX or the BasicRX/TX.

Is it possible that it holds for the SBX as well? If not, could you please suggest what might be wrong? As of now I have notbeen configuring the settings by using property node, because I don't know if it is obligatory with SBX board.

Thanks,

Filip

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,907 Views)
It should just work once you've burned the firmware. What do you mean by "simply not end anything". Are you getting error messages?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,903 Views)

Hey,

It was a typo, I meant 'it simply does not send anything' 🙂

I have burned 'usrp_n210_fw.bin' and 'usrp_n210_r4_fpga' and, as I said nothing is sent. Do you have any idea what might be worng?

Thanks!

Filip

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,899 Views)

Flip-

If you want to use LabView to program, you have to burn the "ni292x" versions of the firmware.  The "N210..." version is the UHD flavored variety...good if you want to program directly with UHD or in GnuRadio.

It gets a little confusing because the NI-USRP driver will install both UHD and NI flavored firmware in that folder, and even for some Ettus devices that NI doesn't yet support.  Handy if you use both, or multiple pieces of hardware.  Just need to make sure you choose the right one.

---

Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,860 Views)

Hi,

I tried to update a N210 with new UHD firmware and fpga
First I tried to do both fw and fpa at once and got a timeout error.
After that I tried to do the fw and fpga update seperately.
The fw update succeeded but the fpga update failed with: socket.timeout:
timed out

his has probably to do with network packets getting lost.

The big problem is however that the USRP is not responding anymore after
it has been powercycled.

even ping 192.168.10.2 does not give a response anymore.

uhd_find_devices, uhd_usrp_probe or usrp_n2xx_net_burner.py also don't
see it anymore.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,672 Views)

Dear Sir,

Please try with this IP adress 192.168.10.10.

I hope it will work.

Brijendra Kumar Sharma

@IIT Kanpur

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,616 Views)

Hi hope this is the right place to ask his I attempted an IP address change using the NI USRP utility tool and when changed the n210 fpga stopped being recognised by the computer. I am able to boot it in safe mode and the computer can contact the device (ping's okay, and uhd_find_devices is able to locate the fpga). but when I attempt to update the firmware and image it appears to work correctly but on cycling the power the devices disappears.

I have tried all the commands suggested in the ettus manual apart from debricking.

I have two n210's and attempted to change the default ip of one to 192.168.10.1
Computer interface set to 192.168.10.3
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Do you have any suggestions?

Many thankss 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,322 Views)

Hi,

I do have a couple suggestions, but if these steps do not help, I'd recommend starting a new thread on this issue. It's typically better to start a new thread to get more input rather than adding on to a thread that's been inactive for a year. 

I wanted to ask if you've tried doing a hard reset on your device. That should restore your USRP to a usable condition and you can try updating the firmware from there. I've included an article below that talks about how to perform a hard reset on the NI 29xx series USRP which should be very similar to the N210 device you have.

Link: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7A684E13828E4A8C86257D9A0065150E

James F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,304 Views)