From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is This?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have inherited a project where the customer is looking for a UI update to an existing application.

For the first time in a long time, I have found something that I have no idea what it is!

It appears to be a decoration but somehow linked to a set of controls such that they are grouped and resize as a group. Attached are some images of front panel and diagram.

Features:

• When I click anywhere in the box all controls are selected as a group.
  • Scales as a group (like a pane)
  • Individual terminals are drop and can replace individual controls.
  • Properties dialog just calls it an "Object" and not any special properties.

Any ideas? I want to modify but actually it is generally useful to know!

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(11,385 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author James_McN

Is it a set of objects grouped?  Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(7,931 Views)

I agree with MikeeB, try selecting the "object", and ungrouping it.

Message 3 of 17
(7,931 Views)

Front Panel.JPG

It is a Decoration and set of controls/Indicators placed on it and all are grouped together. So if you resize the decoration, all the grouped elements are also resizing along with it.

Message 4 of 17
(7,931 Views)

Thanks guys, all correct!

I don't know why, I've never played with grouping much.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(7,931 Views)

Do any of you use grouping much?

This was a feature that I (embarrassingly) didn't realize existed until recently. Now that you know about it, do you think you will use it more James?

Joey S.
Senior Product Manager, Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(7,931 Views)

I use it with a group of controls that I want aligned, eg 3 vertically centred. make a group of them and then I can horizontally pack multiple groups like that. Once you get the hang of it, it does make life simpler. The closest analogy I have is once you figure out layers in graphics.  Mike

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(7,931 Views)

Yeah, I use it temporarily to align things and copy/paste groups, but I disable it when building for release because I feel like it creates opportunities for weird resizing and movement at runtime.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(7,931 Views)

Have a look at "align multiple cluster elements in rows/colum​ns" from nathand (post 71 of the Micro-Nuggets!!! thread of the LabVIEW discussion forum). It gives a nice example of the use of grouping controls.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(7,931 Views)

Hi Joey! I use Grouping all the time for UI design. I'll put two indicators together (a Numeric result and a Boolean indicating whether the value passes or fails), and I'll define a spatial relationship for them (align vertical centers and space out nicely), then group those, duplicate them, and define a new relationship between the groups (bottoms aligned, groups distributed evenly).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(7,931 Views)