From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show a front panel in a Windows app?

I attended the Dev Day today and was inspired to take a new look at the possibilities for a Labview UI.  Does anyone have an idea on how I could display a VI front panel from a Windows Forms app (or a WPF app for that matter)?  I'm sure there's a way to show it as a pop-up, but what about containing it within a form (like a subpanel)?

Thanks ahead of time.  By the way, I think these community groups are a great way to share ideas between devs, and I look forward to reading more about the neat things that I can do (and never realized) with Labview.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,642 Views)

Hello,

You might want to take a look at the example code posted by Arnoud de Kuijper in this thread: Dock windows system in LabView.

I think that Arnoud's example does what you want to do. His example brings up sub-panels inside of another VIs window, but I'm guessing that you could also use his method to target any window.

Hope this helps.

Mark Ridgley

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,435 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,435 Views)

strimble,

Nice to meet you at the DevDays session yesterday.  I thought a little about your question and think I'm at least on the right path.  I've attached a Visual Studio solution (VS 2010 - sorry it's all I have) with a C#/Windows Forms app that launches a VI and embeds it's front panel in a panel on the form (just like a subpanel in LabVIEW).

2010-04-30 14 55 56.png

I've tried to document my code and it's far from pretty/perfect but I hope it helps get you started.

In case you can't open the code I basically just run the VI normally then use user32.dll to make the front panel window a child of a panel on my form and resize it to be an exact match.  I then make another couple of user32.dll calls to hide the border and titlebar of the front panel so it appears embedded.

~SimonH

Message 4 of 5
(4,435 Views)

Thanks for your help, Simon!  This looks like a good starting point.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,435 Views)