From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2011 Silver Palette

Regarding my experiment with the 2-D Array of Round Color Box (Silver):  Open VI Reference is the affected function.  If I can perform 1000 open-then-close reference actions per second with the Modern round color boxes on the panel, I can only do 100 with the Silver.  I set the experiment up with tabs:  If I switch to the tab with a 2-D array of Modern color boxes, everthing works as expected.  If I switch to the tab with a 2-D array of Silver round color boxes, screen updates suffer.  If I add an Open VI Reference and Close Reference in each loop cycle, application performance suffers.  If you need to rapidly open and close VI references, then do not use Silver color boxes.  Could be true for other Silver controls.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(2,327 Views)

LabBEAN - We're not able to reproduce the performance problem you're seeing. Would you be willing to send us your VIs?

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(2,327 Views)

Christina - Sure thing.  I started a thread on it here and provided examples.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(2,327 Views)

Having spent all afternoon trying to debug a colleagues VI that kept crashing when buttons were pressed, I noticed that he was using Silver Control buttons.

I replaced these with buttons from the standard library and the application now runs reliably.

The silver controls look quite nice but I think I will be avoiding them for the time being!!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(2,327 Views)

I maybe be experiencing a similar issue. Every once in a while when I press a button LabVIEW crashes. I had not consider the Silver Palette, but I will keep this in mind if it happens again. Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--CLD--
LV 6.1 to 2015 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(2,327 Views)

If anyone experiences repeatable problems that are demonstrably the result of the use of Silver Controls, it would be great if they could share their code for those at NI to be able to get to the bottom of any issues.

LabBEAN did precisely that a few posts above with his link to a forum thread.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(2,327 Views)

Thoric,

That's always the problem with inconsistent bugs. I will post a link if I can repeat the issue. It has not surfaced in about a month of working on the code.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--CLD--
LV 6.1 to 2015 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(2,327 Views)

I have sent a report to NI regarding my findings already.

My problem was completely repeatable with a colleagues VI running in parrallel with a LV application in development mode.

I have written some small VI's to try and give NI an example, but this does not crash. I am not sure what the specific instances needed to cause the behaviour. I can only say that we unluckily have them!!

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(2,327 Views)

Great to hear guys

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(2,327 Views)

We have found a significant issue with creating Silver ring controls from block diagram terminals and constants. If the resulting ring is not a U16 numeric type, it will not be formed properly, which can lead to erroneous behavior and failures when trying to save a VI.

I have not yet received a report of reproducible issues with Silver buttons, however, so do please continue to provide us with any information you can to help us, especially submitting any crash reports you encounter.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(2,327 Views)