From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

The Daily CLAD

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Random Number Generator

SercoSteveB
Active Participant

Which of the following are possible values of Numeric Value Out following execution of the VI?

NOTE: Multiple answers may apply.

Random Njumber Generation.png

a) -0.213

b) 0

c) 4.5321

d) 10.203

Comments
nik35324

The output of for loop is between 0 and 10 and so the min and max. Subtracting min from max is between 0 and 10. Options A and D can be eliminated.

Answer: B (Unlikely) and C for sure.

Any insights about option B?

Hritzgujarati
Answer is clear.....! C Random number generator will not generate the same number twice in a raw. so there is no chance of generating 10 same number in a raw, So B is not an answer.
crossrulz
Knight of NI

B, C

Few comments:

1. The loop cannot output a 10 since the Random Number is not inclusive of 1

2. 0 is technically possible, but the chances are really close to 0.  To be more technical (if I am remembering basic statistic properly), the chances of a number is 1/(2^64).  Now 2 numbers being exactly the same is 1/(2^128).  Now the chances of 10 numbers being the same would be 1/(2^640) = 5.42e-20.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
MrStevenUND

B, C.  However B is highly unlikely...

CataM
NI Employee (retired)

b) and c)

Matt-A.

Agree.  B unlikely, and C is possible

jeeva89

C & D is possible

Hritzgujarati

Jeeva could you please elaborate your answer

Mr._Sri_logeshwaran
C is the Ans. Since Random numbers will generate 0-1 so multiples of 10 will give upto 0-10 values. Also if we subtract Max with Min we will get values 10 or less than 10 so Ans is C
Timsrice

C
A& D are impossible
(and it is not worth waiting for B!)

interesting discussions above on how unusual it would be to generate a zero with this.

...so, put the snippet in a loop, ran it a million times (because you can) and then simply put the all answers generated on a histogram...
statistics.PNGSo with 10 random numbers in the range 0-10 they stand to be reasonably evenly spread out, so values (amplitude) around 8 and 9 are common.

In one million attempts the lowest value generated was 1.5,

Which I think demonstrates the validity of the statements above that the chances of getting zero are astonishingly small.  

What I hadn't appreciated is how very unlikely it is to get a number below 1.

alexderjuengere
Active Participant

my gut feeling was C

@ Timsrice:

...so, put the snippet in a loop, ran it a million times (because you can) and then simply put the all answers generated on a histogram

I was about to do that  ^^

kudos to you!

jwscs
Active Participant

B (extremely unlikely, bc all array elems would have to be the same)

and C

not A, because x-z for x>=z can never be negative

not D, because 1*10 is the maximum (after looking up the help on random, this is exclusive, bc random never produces a 1)

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
SercoSteveB
Active Participant

Answer: B & C, nice one all. 

Lots of good stuff in this post, thanks.

levonsg

B,C

https://images.youracclaim.com/size/340x340/images/2edb5b1a-9414-44e1-8519-c774fc6dd079/36015_Certificate_Badges_FINAL__1__NI_Instructor_v5.png