From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin/Client Connectivity Issues

I have systemlink server running and have packages added to it.   I have a client that has connected to it, but immediately after I approve the connection on the server the System Manager shows it as disconnected.  The client itself says that its connection status is Connected.   Is there a general connectivity debug process?

Here is what systemlink server shows:

disconnected.PNG

Here is what that PC's client shows:

connected.png

One of these two PC's is lying 🙂

EDIT:

Another data point is that I can log on to my server remotely from another PC  on our companies network.  However a co-worker cannot log on even though I've given him the admin login credentials. When he logs on he sees this error:

error 0.png

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,025 Views)

On the server check the Salt master log - C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\salt\var\log\salt\master

On the target check the Salt minion log - C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\salt\var\log\salt\minion

Let me know what you find.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,991 Views)
However a co-worker cannot log on even though I've given him the admin login credentials. When he logs on he sees this error:

Which browser is your co-worker using?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,990 Views)

We tried both Chrome and Internet Explorer 11.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,975 Views)

The salt master file is blank.  The minion file has a ton of info in it.  Is there something that I'm looking for in particular?  Can I email it to you?  I'd rather not attach it to the thread since I'm a little paranoid about sharing any of our companies IP addresses.

Here are two errors that look interesting:

2017-07-18 13:13:33,244 [salt.crypt       ][ERROR   ][6732] The Salt Master has cached the public key for this node, this salt minion will wait for 10 seconds before attempting to re-authenticate

2017-07-18 17:38:45,263 [salt.log.setup ][ERROR ][8940] An un-handled exception was caught by salt's global exception handler:
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'flush'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\salt\bin\lib\multiprocessing\spawn.py", line 106, in spawn_main
exitcode = _main(fd)
File "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\salt\bin\lib\multiprocessing\spawn.py", line 119, in _main
return self._bootstrap()
File "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\salt\bin\lib\multiprocessing\process.py", line 273, in _bootstrap
sys.stdout.flush()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'flush'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,972 Views)

Can you email your logfiles to me, at justin.ewasko@ni.com? Please also include all logfiles in this directory: C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\Skyline\Logs

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,961 Views)

Thanks for emailing me the logfiles. These errors in particular stick out:

2017-07-18 13:32:28,770 [salt.cli.daemons ][ERROR   ][5844] Master address: '10.192.10.195' could not be resolved. Invalid or unresolveable address. Set 'master' value in minion config.

Can you try pinging that IP address on your client from the command prompt (ping 10.192.10.195), and from salt? To ping it from salt, in an administrative command prompt run "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\salt\salt-call" test.ping

It should return "local: TRUE" if it succeeds, or will report errors if it fails.

Additionally, on your server machine can you add the Master column to the Managed Systems view to see what Master your system claims to have connected from? You can hover over the columns to find a dropdown, then in the columns menu select Master.

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,939 Views)

Pinging from the client to the host using the command line works fine.

cmd ping.PNG

To get the salt ping to work I had to use the command salt-call.bat "test.ping but it responded with local:true

salt ping.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,936 Views)

Try pinging the client from the host, and see if the client responds. From the host, open an administrative command prompt, and navigate to C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\salt. From there, run salt.bat "*" test.ping

Can you also add the Master column to the Managed Systems view to see what Master your system claims to be connected to?

What operating system are you running on your host and your client?

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,885 Views)

Standard command line ping worked fine from the server to the target PC.

My first attempt at the salt ping failed with the below error:

Salt 1.PNG

I relaunched the salt ping using my admin credentials and this time it said that the minion didn't respond (i didn't get a screenshot of it).  I opened up the target laptop and launched the SystemLink client and after a minute of so, the client said it was connected.  I relaunched salt ping on the master and it connected fine:

Salt admin.PNG

Here is a screen shot of the server systems manager with the master column enabled.

master view.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,879 Views)