Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"unknown channel or repeated capability name"

Hello,

Let me start by saying that I am relatively new to Switch Executive and Teststand, but have been working with Labview for a few years.

I have taken over work on an automated harness test system that was in mid development. This system uses a PXIe-1073 Chassis, with NI PXI-4071 DMM, two 2532B matrix cards, two 2640B 4x128 matrix terminals, and two SCB-264X breakout boards.

Initially this system only had 1 of each of the components installed. As such, everything worked fine with smaller harnesses with less than 128 physical connections. I am now moving to harnesses with more than 128 physical connections, so I have installed the second set of cards/boards. When running my larger test, I encounter the "unknown channel or repeated capability name" error. I set the second set of cards up in MAX just as the first set was set up, but one thing I noticed were the channels on the second card appear as they do on the first card (i.e. 0 - 127), instead of 128 - 255 as I would expect them to be, and no option I can find to set this up this way. Not sure if this could be leading to my error, but it was the path I was going to start investigating. Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong to get these cards working together so I have 256 channels available to my application, and clear this error that is popping up?

With this being the day before the Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S., it is likely I will not be around to reply to this thread until Monday, 11/28, so apologies in advance. Thanks for anyone who can help me sort this issue out.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,426 Views)

Hi,

What do you mean by harness?  Is this your DUT?  Can you send us a screenshot of this error?  Does it have an error number?  Can you also send us a screenshot in NI MAX when and how you're setting up the channels?

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,381 Views)

the channels on the second card appear as they do on the first card (i.e. 0 - 127), instead of 128 - 255 as I would expect them to be

This is intended behavior.  I suspect your error comes from assuming the channels would continue to increase across individual devices.  Switch Executive doesn't assume you want to use two devices this way, but you should be able to configure Switch Executive to handle this.

You can add an alias to a channel in Switch Executive, so you can alias the channels on the second device to c128-c255.  Its alot of channels so you might want to change a couple, export the configuration, edit it in excel (or a text editor) and then import the updated configuration.

Are you using the Switching Property in TestStand or are you switching inside your test code?

I'm not exactly sure of your setup, depending on how you're using Switch Executive, you may also need to add new routes or route groups for the channels on the new device.  If you're specifying the routes explicitly, you may also need to update the device name in the route if the channel you want to connect is on the second device.

Which version of Switch Executive, NI-SWITCH and/or NI-DAQmx are you using?

Can you attach a screenshot of teststand's Switching Properties or a simplified version of your VI (depending on where you're doing the switching)?

Can you attach an exported Switch Executive configuration of your Virtual Device?

Marshall G.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,372 Views)