cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview programmable relay switch

Hi,

here is a very basic example:

to initiate the board, you need to send the command 4200

and then 4301 for the switch 1, 4302 for the switch 2, 4304 for the switch 3 and 4308 for the switch 4 (4303, 4305, 4306, 4307 will switch two or three of them simultaneously).

cmd 4300 will switch off all them.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 29
(4,506 Views)

Great!

Thank you very much!

I didn't know about this VISA thing.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 29
(4,502 Views)

Hi again,

If you have more complex examples, it will be very nice.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 29
(4,489 Views)

Hi,

I am afraid I actually have a very simple use of the board:

I just need the switch 1 to switch on and off in order to send the command "withdraw" to a stepper motor controller

and the switch 2 on and off in order to send the command "inject".

Attached is an example of what I use for automation: I would then use local variables of the "CMD Pump" in my Sequence Structure (put as an example here) to send various commands to the switch board.

What are you trying to do exactly?

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 29
(4,484 Views)

Hello Seth,

I am doing same kind of thing. I want to operate 4 SPDT relay (5V DC) using NI DAQ device and through LabView, It should be automated. Kindly suggest any simpler DAQ device for my application. And what are important parameters remember to select a proper DAQ device.

Thanks & Regards,

SKUP

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 29
(4,256 Views)

If you'd rather not use NI's existing switch products, you can create your own:

1. Use anything with four digital outputs.  NI's USB-6008 is USB-powered and has four digital outputs.

2. Since DO Ioutmax is typically less than the relay's required coil current, you'll need to add a series transistor between the DO and each relay to drive the relay coils from some external +5V souce.

Happy clicking!

-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 29
(4,239 Views)

Thanks for ur suggestion.

Is it possible this without using amplifier stage or any other DAQ device which can provide sufficient relay coil current so that relay will be switched from one position to other position?

-------------

Regards,

SKUP

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 29
(4,223 Views)

That will depend on the drive current of the relay you use.  One other caveat when using digital lines is that you'll need to assume Vout(min) is the output voltage and verify the relay coil will still work at that lower voltage.  If you're looking for the USB form factor, I'd recommend the USB-6525, which has eight built in 500mA solid state relays you can use to drive bigger external relays.

-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 29
(4,215 Views)

One more caveat if you're new to switching relays: Make sure you add a flyback diode reverse biased in parallel with each relay coil... otherwise, when you attempt to turn the relay off, you'll see a VERY large (hundreds of volts) flyback voltage, which will damage whatever you're using to drive the coil.

-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 29
(4,214 Views)