Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview programmable relay switch

Hello,

I have an experiment where a controller probe needs to be switched on/off to take measurement every 30 seconds or so. It is right now a mechanical switch that needs to be flipped on/off. I'm pretty new to switches and I dont know if there exists one but I'm trying to look for a relay switch that can be programmed and controlled via LabView so that I can automate the process. The switch should be done in real time and needs to be able to control up to 3 separate switches. It doesnt has to be one made by NI, it could be from other companies too. 

Thank you,

Max 

Message Edited by oioi on 11-18-2008 01:50 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(14,202 Views)

oioi,

There are several possibilities:

• Use an NI PXI or SCXI relay switch.  These are easy to integrate with LabVIEW, thanks to the NI Switch driver.  You can browse our Switches Product Page and choose your desired specifications to browse our various switch modules.
  • Use a TTL controlled external relay switch.  This will require you to configure your DAQ card to send the correct TTL signal on one of the digital lines.  You can send these commands in LabVIEW, but you'll need to pick a switch that works the both the specifications of your probe and the TTL setting of your DAQ card.

I hope one of these options will fit your application.
Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(14,186 Views)

Hi Max,

I would like to add to Seth's first suggestion:

• Use an NI PXI or SCXI relay switch.  These are easy to integrate with LabVIEW, thanks to the NI Switch driver.  You can browse our Switches Product Page and choose your desired specifications to browse our various switch modules.

Be sure to check out the relay driver modules (NI PXI-2567 and NI SCXI-1167) in addition to the general purpose switch modules.  If you already have external relays you simply need to drive, then the NI PXI-2567 or SCXI-1167 may just be the solution you're looking for!

Hope this helps!

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(14,182 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestsions. I have found a suitable switch that is perfect for my application. The model number is USB-6525. It is programmable with labview, cheap, and I dont need to get a complete PXI setup.

Thanks again for all your helps.

Max

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(14,138 Views)
Thank you Max.  I just happened to see this posting and I believe the USB-6525 will work perfect for my application too.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(14,004 Views)

Hi,

I'm using a 2567 relay model to drive another relay which gets activated when 24v supply is given to it i'm connecting the two wires of the coil

to ch8 and com8 respectively i'm using the below program to connect and disconnect the relay but the relay is not continuosly on wen i run the progam 

it is flickering betweeen on and off continuosly when the case is true but i need the relay not flicker and to be in on state till i make the case false and disconnect it pls help me  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(11,853 Views)

Hello,

I think the issue that you are having is caused by the fact that the Boolean "Ahead" can only either be true or false. When you click the "Ahead" button, your code goes true for a split second and makes the connections as expected. However after the program loops around, the Boolean "Ahead" is in the false state and it immediately disconnects your connections. This will cause the flickering that you are seeing. In addition, your code has a "disconnect all" function after every iteration, further preventing anything from turning on successfully. 

I have made a small example using a state machine to control the connections. It is fully documented so it should explain how it is works within the code. Let me know if you have any questions!

Steps:
1.) Select your switch device and topology.
2.) Click Run.
3.) Select the switch channels that you want to modify.
4.) Choose the action you want to perform from the drop down list. (Connect, Disconnect or Wait).
5.) Click "Enable Action" button (OK Button). This will perform the action and go to the "Wait" state.
6.) Continue to use by selecting actions and enabling them.

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(11,848 Views)

Thanks Frank the program is working fine for my application,ill ve to connect many relays to my 2567 in future, ill let u know if any assistence is required

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(11,837 Views)

Hi Frank,

There is another problem i'm facing today, i'm operating 3 relays using ch8 ch9 and ch10 using the same program you had sent 

it was operating fine in the morning and after some time it stopped working suddenly i've not made any changes in the circuit or program 

i dono why it is not working pls help

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(11,826 Views)

Hello, 

Could you explain how it stopped working? Were you still using it to actively change the switches or did you set it to a configuration an leave it alone for a while? Can you verify that your power source is not being interrupted? The answers to these questions will help give us an idea of what is happening.

Kyle K.

Product Manager for Product Data
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(11,813 Views)