From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

having trouble connecting column to column using niSwitch on a PXI 2530

Having trouble connecting column to column using niSwitch vi on a PXI 2530 matrix module.  I have configured my switch using Switch Executive, have identified aliases, and verified routes and route groups.  When I use LabVIEW to connect column to column I get an error reading "cannot find connection between c0 and c1".  c0 and c1 are example columns I want to connect.  Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(8,270 Views)
Just to clarify: You were able to configure your switch in Switch Executive, and create a route from column to column?
If this is true, why are you using niSwitch VIs in LabVIEW? Shouldn't you be using NISE VIs in LV? You need to use NI Switch Executive API in LV in order to utilize your configurations...

Hope this helps...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(8,269 Views)
So if I did not configure my switch using Switch Executive I should use niSwitch vi's in LV?  And if I did use Switch Executive use NISE VI's in LV?  Which way is better to control the switch, through NISE configuration or directly through LV?  And finally, where do I find the NISE VI's in LV?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,262 Views)
You can find NISE VIs in the function pallete in LV if you have installed LabVIEW support when you installed NISE (this is selected by default in the installer if you had LV installed before installing NISE).
Also, choose between niSwitch and NISE based on your need - if all you ever do is connect two channels in your application, then configuring a NISE virtual device is probably an overkill (and so is using a switch in this case:-) . However, if you are going to manage multiple routes, then using NISE configuration will let you create named routes and route groups, which you can then invoke (connect/disconnect) in your application and have the configuration part managed outside your application. The code would then concentrate solely on establishing a necessary connection(s) via connecting a route or a route group, while if you were to use niSwitch for this purpose, you would have to keep the logic of connecting inside your application, together with the list of channels that need to be connected.

Start with using NISE, and see if you like it.

http://www.ni.com/pdf/products/us/3msw112-113.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,257 Views)
I have many connections, up to 128 channels need to be connected but one at a time.  I am determining that NISE will help me in this situation considering the many connections.  I am using this switch as trial and will probably connect multiple switches together, if it works out.  It seems that I am not finding the NISE VI's in LV, is there something missing?  I have seen the NISE quick reference guide and do not find any VI's that appear the same.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,255 Views)
What version of LV do you have? What version of NISE do you have? It may be the case where one or another is too new for the installers to work together.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,252 Views)
We have version 7.1 of LV and it appears that we don't have the full development of NISE.  I think that is why I can't find the NISE VI's.  That that sound correct?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(8,247 Views)
No, the development vs. deployment version of NISE differs in the capability to edit NISE configurations. Either of the three NISE versions (demo, deployment or development) have the ability to run the existing configurations. The fact that you were able to create NISE configuration tells me that you have either the development version or a demo version which would work for 30 days after installation, and would run for some amount of time.

What is the version of NISE you use? If it is old enough, it won't recognize LV71 and install for it.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(8,244 Views)
I have the NISE 2.0 evaluation version and I am still not able to find the NISE VI's in LV
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(8,242 Views)
Good afternoon alexndr,

It's likely that support for LabVIEW was not selected when you installed your NI Switch Executive.  You can remedy this by going to Add or Remove Programs, selecting National Instruments Software and then in the pop up box locating the NI Switch Executive and selecting "Modify".  Once this new window loads, ensure that there are no Xs beside any of the LabVIEW titles.  There should be little Harddrives beside each one.  If you continue with the install that should add the Switch Executive VIs to LabVIEW.  If this doesn't fix the problem, you can also try Repair instead of Modify after selecting Switch Executive in the National Instruments Software pop-up window.

Sincerely,
Minh Tran
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(8,222 Views)