From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting x channels via route channels in Switch Executive

I have a Switch Matrix with 4 rows and 352 columns. Using Switch Executive I want to connect the columns (X channels) to each other using the rows (Y channels) as route channels.

If I want to connect X1, X2 and X3 together how many route channels does Switch Executive use?

Please see attached jpg.

Charlie Rodway | Principal Software Engineer | Certified TestStand Architect (CTA)

Computer Controlled Solutions Ltd | NI Silver Alliance Partner | GDevCon#1 Sponsor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,379 Views)
Charlie,

As you know if you create a route from X1 to X2 NISE will use one configuration channel (row). If you create another route X1 to X3, NISE will use another configuration channel (row).
If you want to connect X1, X2 and X3 together, do not make the rows (Y channels) configuration channels and create 3 routes X1->Y1, X2->Y1 and X2->Y1 and place them in a route group called X1_X2_X3.
By closing X1_X2_X3 all 3 columns will be connected together using one rows.

Guy Ferraro
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI USA
Message 2 of 7
(7,370 Views)
Hi Guy,

Thanks for your quick response!

I think I understand, but I am left wondering why configuration channels have been recommended for our test solution... with a 4x352 matrix with all instruments & I/O on the columns, surely only four routes can be connected?

Please forgive my ignorance 😉

Charlie Rodway | Principal Software Engineer | Certified TestStand Architect (CTA)

Computer Controlled Solutions Ltd | NI Silver Alliance Partner | GDevCon#1 Sponsor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,365 Views)
Charlie,

This is in fact an interresting situation.
Do you mind if I contact you direclty?

Guy Ferraro
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI USA
Message 4 of 7
(7,361 Views)
Hi Guy,

That would be great. Are you able to access my contact information through the NI customer database?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,357 Views)
yes. I can get the information.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,350 Views)
Hi Guy,

Then you're welcome to contact me at any time.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,346 Views)