Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

an control application

Hello to all people,
I'm trying to monitoring a set of rotative machinery. I want to shut down the machine when a monitoring parameter like vibration or rotate velocity overcomes a established limit or level. I was thinking to use a switch to develop this aplication, but I'm not sure about this. I will be very greateful if anyboby can give me some guidelines.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,050 Views)
Jorge,

I would agree that certainly a switch of some kind should be employed to control the machine's power. If turning it on and off by either applying or removing current is the only way to control it, then likely the best option would be to use an external relay controlled digitally by either a PC, PXI system, or programmable automation controller (e.g. FieldPoint). When all parameters are within limits, the digital line would remain high, thus closing the relay and allowing current to flow. However, once something goes wrong (rotation or vibration out of limits), the digital line would go low and disconnect the switch.

As far as a choice of platform, do you already have some equipment monitoring the machine -- or are you starting from scratch?

Regards,
Alan L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,034 Views)