Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use external 15V supply with PXI-2567

I need to control an RF latching relay (Agilent 8768M) with a PXI-2567. The relay coil requires either 15V at 188ma or 5V ar 325ma (a 24V, 125ma version is also  available). I assume I can use an external 15V supply with the PXI-2567 drivers to control the relay but do I need to de-rate the current capability of the PXI-2567? I would like to control at lease two relays with each driver channel. Four would be great but that's either 752ma at 15V which is over the 600ma spec of the PXI-2567, or 500ma ar 24V.

Thanks,
Bob
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,617 Views)
Hi Bob,

As you suggest you can use an external power supply of 15V with the PXI-2567 to control these Agilent relays no problem. You will need to do nothing with the current capability of this card as the current drawn will be dependant on the supply voltage and the relay coil impedance (Ohms Law). For a typical relay of this type the current required is 188mA when a 15V supply is used. You can control as many relays per channel as you like as long as you do not exceed the maximum rating of the channel (600mA) but remember these will not be independantly controllable, all relays on the same channel will switch at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Nick
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,607 Views)