From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating IVI Drivers

I've got a question re: updating the IVI drivers in NISE.

We are using a 3rd party switch card, and the IVI drivers are updated from time to time. As we have worked with this particular vendor to help test out their IVI drivers, we have received new "drops" of their IVI drivers over the past couple of months as bugs are found.

On more than one occasion, I had entered a sizeable amount of information into NISE (alias names for IVI Channels, hard-wires, etc.) for our system, and when the new IVI drivers were installed from our vendor, I found that I had to re-enter my alias information, etc. because the IVI drivers had changed drastically.

Up to this time, I have not modified the virtual names in the Driver Sessions to have any custom info, I have only entered it into the Virtual Device as "alias" names, etc. Is there any way to "protect" my custom information from having to be re-entered when significant updates are received from our IVI vendor?

Harv...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,084 Views)
Harv,

When a NISE Virtual device is created it is linked to a logical name that points to a driver session that points to an IVI specific driver. If anything changes on the specific driver level the NISE virtual device will not work. When you enter virtual names in the driver session, NISE will be able to see these virtual names at creation of the virtual device only. If virtual names are entered after the creation of the virtual device, the virtual names will not appear in NISE, because the link was already established.

I understand you concern but unfortunately if the ivi specific driver changes its channel names, an already created NISE virtual device will not be able to show these changes.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,080 Views)