Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI multiplexer

I am building a DAQ system which I am fitting all in a enclosure. I was hoping for a PCI multi function DAQ, DMM and a multiplexer, but can't seem to find the PCI multiplexer anyone know if NI does anything like that. Before you mention the PXI chassis and controller I wnat everything fitting in the enclosure as it also contains a flat touch screen and the appropriate interface to what I am measuring and the PXI is a bit to bulky and not the right form factor. 

The other option is if there is a low form factor USB multiplexor

any ideas anyone

nice  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(7,928 Views)

Hi,

NI do provide a PCI based switching system but it's not integrated into the PC. It comes in a form factor called SCXI. The switching modules are housed in an SCXI chassis which is available in 4 or 8 slot sizes.

There's more info on the SCXI modules available on the following page:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/10327

The SCXI advisor is also useful for specing your system:

http://ohm.ni.com/advisors/scxi

If this isn't a sufficiently integrated solution I believe Hewlet Packard have a PCI based multiplexer. Try googling PCI Multiplexer...

SarahB

Applications Engineer | National Instruments UK

Sarah

Applications Engineer | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(7,919 Views)
The suggested SCXI option is also available with USB control:

That would be the best option if you needed a significant number of channels.  A 4-slot USB Mainframe can handle up to 784 1-wire channels.

Although NI does not offer any multiplexers in PCI, we do offer a few PCI digital i/o boards that use electromechanical relays.  You might consider these for a simple switching application.  If you need to use a multiplexer, you can connect all of the relay COM terminals together to make a mux.

Also, Measurement Computing offers a few USB relay devices that are probably closer to the form factor you're looking for - they have 8 or 24 relays per device (which could also be combined into a multiplexer).

I hope this helps.

Luke S.
Switch Marketing

FYI - the HP PCI multiplexer mentioned earlier is for muxing serial communication, so it is probably not what you are looking for.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(7,904 Views)