Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NISE Virtual Device Setup

I am looking for the best way to set up our NISE system so that it fits with our project's long-range goals. First, some background information on our system and on what I would like to do...

Our system has in it a certain number of 3rd party switch cards, and these cards are set up in a way that will not vary from UUT to UUT. For example, some of the switch cards are tied together with hardwires, and there are routes that we have defined that will help us to do basic functions of our test platform -- and these hardwires and routes are things that will not change depending on the UUT. I will refer to this as my "Baseline" system. I have the Baseline system currently defined in a Virtual Device in NISE.

Our system will also have some aspects that will be different from UUT to UUT (i.e. it will build on top of the Baseline Virtual Device info). For example, we will have a special fixture that is connected to our system that will require that special hardwires and routes be built to help in testing out a particular UUT. Each UUT will likely have a different one of these test fixtures, so each will require some special setup in NISE.

Suppose we have 10 different UUTs... I am trying to determine the best way to configure our NISE system so that we can move easily from UUT to UUT without a major re-configuration of the system -- and without a major duplication of information. I am also concerned as to what is involved when the Baseline system changes.

For example, I can see in one case that I would build my Baseline Virtual Device ONCE, and then for each UUT, I would copy that Baseline Virtual Device and build upon it, so that I would have a Baseline + UUT1, Baseline + UUT2, ... and a Baseline + UUT10. I am pretty sure that that would work, but if something changes in the Baseline, I will have to modify all 10 of the UUT Virtual Devices (because they actually contain the Baseline Virtual Device).

Another way that would work but that would be clumsy is to build a single Virtual Device that would contain the Baseline Virtual Device and all of the other Virtual Device information for every UUT that we will ever test. This would likely be one HUGE Virtual Device. This doesn't seem like a good idea at all.

Is there a way in NISE to build ONE Baseline Virtual Device that is somehow used by all 10 of the UUT Virtual Devices, so that if I have to change the Baseline, I don't have to change all 10 of the UUT Virtual Devices as well?

Any ideas?

Harv
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,368 Views)
Harv,

Can we contact you directly?

Guy Ferraro
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,363 Views)