From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot Export any Switch Configurations in NISE even the example.

Emmanuel,

We are in the process of investigating these issues. What we have found so far is that they were due to a data corruption in the mxs file system (data directory). it is very easy to corrupt the mxs file system and if a NISE config happens to be open or in use it will be corrupted as well. We have found out that the creation, deletion and exporting of a new NISE config even with the corrupted data folder is still possible. When a NISE config is corrupted it becomes very unstable and may not operate correctly (can't be exported or can't be deleted) .

Usually deleting the data folder will eliminate the problem but thsi will also delete the NISE config as well.

In your case I will first verify that you are having the same problem using the MAX export.

Guy Ferraro
Switch product Support Engineer
NI - USA 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(5,459 Views)

Guy,

Thank you for your answer.

As you may understand, I need your help to find a solution to backup and restore my NISE configuration used in a production process.

If it helps, here are my last observations of yesterday :

- NISE used => v2.10.49161

- no NISE configuration (7) is exportable anymore

- after export failure, I should reboot my computer and external PCI & PXI devices

- before export failure, it is possible to generate a report of NISE configuration

- "MAX export" (nce file) is possible

- NISE configuration validation is OK

If you want print copy of failure detection, I can send them to you by e-mail.

Thnak you in advance,

Best regards,

Emmanuel

Message Edité par E.Boivin le 05-05-2006 12:25 AM

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(5,442 Views)

Emmanuel,

I am confused:

no NISE configuration (7) is exportable anymore  AND  "MAX export" (nce file) is possible

Do you have problem exporting your NISE config with MAX?

Another way you can backup your NISE config is by using the Excel examples: GenerateExcelReport.xls to export and ImportFromExcel.xls to import back into MAX. 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(5,429 Views)

Hi Guy,

I'm confused too but the way to export NISE configuration is "export" item menu from right-clic on NISE configuration name and this is not working well.

When I write "MAX export" (nce file) is possible, I inform you that Max "File > Export ..." item menu is working well but just allows me to generate "*.nce" file whitch do not include NISE configuration, isn't it ?

I know the Excel way, with GenerateExcelReport.xls, to export NISE config, but, for the moment, Excel is not installed on the "Production" Computer, and I'm not really conviced that it is fully efficient because I already have damaged with Import/export between NISE and Excel (If there is no other way, of course I will try this "ultimate" solution).

I hope, you will fix this bug and suggest me an "easy" and efficient export way.

Emmanuel

Message Edité par E.Boivin le 05-05-2006 10:09 AM

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(5,425 Views)

Emmanuel,

What I meant by MAX export was actually right clicking on the device and selecting export, not creating a MAX export .nce file. Sorry about the confusion. We have found out problem on exporting is caused by a data corruption in the data folder.

First, let me ask you "Are trying to export to a network drive?". If this is the case, we know about this issue and it will be fix in the next MAX release. This is actually due to a component in MAX and not by anything in NISE.

If you have problem exporting your NISE config. I would first start by exporting the configuration using the NISE Excel example. Then I would type net Stop mxssvr in the command prompt and wait until the service is successfully stoped. Make sure MAX is closed the all time.  I would then rename the DATA folder in \Program Files\National Instruments\MAX and re-start the computer. This will ensure that the data folder is recreated. Now I would import the configuration using the NISE Excel example and once the config i spresent in MAX, I would try exporting it.

Guy Ferraro
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(5,399 Views)

Hi Guy,

Yes, I Have tried to export NISE to a network drive (used as backup folder).

As soon as my Client will install Excel (from his corporate distribution) on the computer I will test the given "NISE config restore" procedure and then I will send you my reports.

Thank you for that Guy.

Best regards

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(5,386 Views)

Emmanuel,

The issue of importing to a network drive was introduce with MAX 4.0. The issue does not exists with MAX 3.0 and wil be fixed with MAX 4.1.

The workaround is even better than the one with Excel. Simply import you configuration to your local drive and then move the xml files to a network drive. et voila !

Guy 

Message 17 of 18
(5,376 Views)

HI Guy,

I have followed your recommandations "Simply import you configuration to your local drive and then move the xml files to a network drive." and this work well.

Thank you very much and I will wait for MAX 4.1 to directly export my NISE configuration to my network backup folder !

Best Regards

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(5,225 Views)