Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FindRoute

Does FindRoute require routes to be pre-defined in the switch executive before it can find a route that can connect 2 channels? In other words, does FindRoute just search the list of pre-defined routes to find the best one that connects 2 channels?

Or does is it able to dynamically "create" a route at runtime (without pre-defined routes)?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,312 Views)

I do not create routes in my Switch Executive setup.  What I do is connect colum X to row Z and then connect colum Y to row Z.  But I like to make sure I know which row is being used.  You do not have to do that.  You could just state connect colum X to colum Y and it will find a way.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 7
(6,311 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

Now I understand that FindRoute can dynamically find a path between two channels.

How do I restrict the use of a shared bus so that sharing a bus line is not allowed? For example, if I have several 16x8 matrix cards connected together, where all rows of 8 are shared as a bus, I want to make sure that when making connections between columns of different matrix cards, I do not use the same shared bus "row" (I am not referring to channel exclusion).

When I use "FindRoute" the path it always finds uses "r0". But if I want to make two different connections concurrenlty, both paths would use the same row!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,301 Views)

amit1947 wrote:

When I use "FindRoute" the path it always finds uses "r0". But if I want to make two different connections concurrenlty, both paths would use the same row!

Another reason I explicitly state which row to connect to.  Whithout exclusions, Switch Executive will assume it can reuse rows.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,298 Views)

Ok, I get it, you have to make the connections explicity to specify what "shared" rows to use.

I think this is an oversight on the part of NI. I would think that an executive would be able to optionally manage a shared bus so that paths are can not be shorted together.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,291 Views)

amit1947 wrote:

I think this is an oversight on the part of NI. I would think that an executive would be able to optionally manage a shared bus so that paths are can not be shorted together.

It can.  You just have to put in all of the exclusions in the executive.  I find it easier to just state which rows to use.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,286 Views)

I am only aware of channel exclusion rules. Are there rules that can protect shared rows?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,277 Views)