Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling a 3-phase AC motor in LabVIEW

Hi!

I dont know if this is the right forum to post this question but anyway.

I want to controll a 3-phase  AC motor, 2kW,  in LabVIEW, I want to be able to start and stop and increas/decreas the speed. To do this I have to connect a frequency driver to the motor in order to controll it's speed. But the problem is that i don't know how to connect the components to each other. How can I connect the frequnecy driver som I can get a signal to my computer?

My knowledge of this is very limited when it comes to this kind of hardware.

What do I have to think of when I'm choosning hardware like this?

I have a NI cDAQ-9178 and a NI 9237. Could i use this equipment or do I have to get something else? If so where do I look for this?

It would be good to have my cDAQ-9178 becasue then I could connect a loadcell or a rotary encoder to it. Then i could have all my signals in one DAQ which would be perfect!

Best regards Maurlind!

Message 1 of 2
(6,244 Views)

Hi Maurlind,

It might be possible to use your 9178 chassis. For encoder you would need a digital module. Frequency drives should be discussed with the AC motor vendor. They might have some they tried and have verified working.

What interface the frequency driver needs to be able to connect to cDAQ you can see in the link below. This is the modules page for cDAQ.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/sv/nid/202546

I have seen motors being controlled by voltages, currents and in most cases some bus communication like CAN or LIN.

Hope this helps you, if you need further help you can always contact your local NI office to be helped by the local technical sales engineer.

Best Regards
Jonas Mäki
Systems Developer
Novator Solutions
Message 2 of 2
(6,229 Views)