Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel or repeated capability name specified is not valid for the instrument

I am using the two SCXI-1193 rf switch configured as a Quad 8x1 Mux and I'm using NISE v2.0.1.  I have created a hardwire that connects from ch0 of rfSwitch_1 to com0 of rfSwitch_2.  So, for example, when I go to create a route from rfSwitch_1 com0 to ch3 of rfSwitch_2, I get the following error:

"Channel or repeated capability name specified is not valid for the instrument."

Why am I getting this error message.  It seems to me that since there is a hardwire created between the two rfSwitches there shouldn't be any problems connecting a path from rfSwitch1 to rfSwitch2 between the two quad mux's.

I am using the two SCXI-1193 rf switch configured as a Quad 8x1 Mux and I'm using NISE v2.0.1.  I have created a hardwire that connects from ch0 of rfSwitch_1 to com0 of rfSwitch_2.  So, for example, when I go to create a route from rfSwitch_1 com0 to ch3 of rfSwitch_2, I get the following error:

"Channel or repeated capability name specified is not valid for the instrument."

Why am I getting this error message.  It seems to me that since there is a hardwire created between the two rfSwitches there shouldn't be any problems connecting a path from rfSwitch1 to rfSwitch2 between the two quad mux's.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(9,177 Views)
Let me reassure you that what you are trying to do will work given everything else is configured correctly. The error you are seing indicates a disconnect between the channels that appear in the NISE virtual device and the actual device the IVI configuration points to.
You will get such error if the NISE was created with (2) 1193 and one of hardware descriptor in the driver session in the IVI configuration was changed to point to another switch  module.

I would suggest checking the devices in both driver sessions to make sure they point to 1193s configured in quad 8x1.

Guy Ferraro
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(9,166 Views)
Thanks for the help.

I've checked the configuration and its set to, under Driver Setup: "Topology: 1193/Quad 8x1 Mux".  The Logical name is also pointing to the correct Driver Session. 

I've also noticed another problem.  The rfSwitch can only connect com0 to ch0-ch7.  If I try to connect com1 to ch8-15 it gives me the same error of "Channel or repeated capability name specified is not valid for the instrument".  So in othe words, it seems that this configuration is only providing a single 8x1 Mux and for some reason all the other channels generate errors.

How can I resolve this issue.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(9,160 Views)

The correct device needs to appear in the Hardware tab inthe Hardware asset window.

When you configure the 1193 in quad 8x1 each channel can only be routed to its corresponding com. Please check the NI Switches help file under devices>>SCXI-1193>>Quad 8x1 multiplexer topology.

The error: "Channel or repeated capability name specified is not valid for the instrument" means that you are trying to use channels that do not exist in the switch device you are trying to use. The IVI configuration has to be incorrect in order to get this error.

Message Edited by Guy Ferraro on 02-17-2006 05:38 PM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(9,160 Views)
I should have noted that I'm actually creating the routes on a machine that does not have any hardware connected to it.  So there is no hardware asset selected.

I understand that in the 8x1 Mux topology I should be able to connect com0 to channels 0-7 and com1 to channels 8-15 etc.. but, when I try connecting com1 to any of the channels between 8-15 I still get this error.  Similary for com2 and com3.  The only one that is working is com0 to channels 0-7. 

I appreciate your help.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(9,154 Views)

I am convinced that the IVI configuration is corrupted which prevent you from using the SCXI-1193. If you do not have any hardware you would have had to simulate both SCXI-1193. The fact that you are seing all the channels in NICE virtual device but are getting error when trying to use them tells me that somthing changed in the IV configuration and that you are not using the initial topology used to read all the available channels for the 1193.  

If you do not have any hardware connected to your computer then you need to follow the procedure below to ensure that the SCXI-1193 will work as expected.

First create (2) SCXI-1193 simulated in MAX:
1) Right-click Devices and Interfaces and select Create New.
2) A dialog box prompts you to select a device to add. Select NI-DAQmx Simulated Device and click Finish.
3) In the Choose Device dialog box, select Switch>>NI PCI-4021 (the switch controller is not important but you need one to be able to si mulate a chassis).
4) Create a SCXI-1000 Simulated device using the step 1) to 3)
5) Select the device created in 3) as the communicator
6) When the chassi dialog appear, select SCXI-1193 in slot 3 and 4
7) In the chassis Tab select 3: SCXI-1193 as the Communicating SCXI Module Slot. By default the SCXI-1193 are configured as Quad 8x1

Now you can create a NISE virtual device just like if you had (2)  SCXI-1193 connected to your computer. Note that logical names and driver sessions have been created for both SCXI-1193 (need to close MAX and reopen) with correct entries. If you follow this procedure you will not encounter any more issue working with simulated hardware.

Guy Ferraro
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(9,140 Views)
Thanks for the help.

Based on your information, what I did instead was I deleted the IVI Switch from my Virtual Device and then readded the 1193 switch back.  This definetly fixed the problem.  I am now able to use the 1193 as four independent MUX's.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(9,134 Views)