From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CanConnect From .NET Wrapper Never True?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using he .NET wrapper for niSwitch. In it is a function called "CanConnect", which should verify if a path is possible and/or exists between two channels. However, when I use it to test if a path is indeed available, I get a "0" returned no matter what. My understanding is that I should call it, and send three arguments: the first channel, the second channel, and the condition I'd like to check (integer values 1-6 correspond to the 6 possible conditions).

But when I call it like so:

Const PATH_DOES_EXIST = 1

result = niSwitch.CanConnect(CH2, COM2, PATH_DOES_EXIST)

I get a zero returned whether channel 2 is actually closed or not, as verified by the Soft Panel. 

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,963 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jvavra

jvavra,

niSwitch.CanConnect will return an error code. An error code of 0 means that no errors occurred :).

I would reference the C API Help if you are looking for info on using the .NET API (it should be nearly the same).

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/375472C-01/switchcref/c_nisw_canconnect/

The third argument should actually be a variable. Calling that function will update the variable's value with the current status of that path between the two channels. You can later check if the Variable's value == PATH_DOES_EXIST.

Cheers!

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
Message 2 of 3
(4,952 Views)

Frank,

Thanks, that did it. Just needed to pass in a "Status" variable which I then read after.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,944 Views)