From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BNC-2110 can power a 5V mini relay?

Hi NeuralJ,

Not to prevent Jeff from answering you, but I saw that you were presenting to 5th graders, and you caught my attention.  Ports and lines, huh?  Sounds like you'll have some terminology to introduce.  This is how we present the material, though you may want to spice it up a bit for the 5th graders.

Common terminology used with digital I/O operations:
Bit -
A bit is the smallest unit of data used in a digital operation.  Bits are binary so they can either be a 1 (think of high voltage) or a 0 (think of low voltage).
Byte -
A binary number consisting of 8 related bits of data. Also used to denote the amount of computer memory required to store one byte (8 pieces) of data.
Line -
A line is an individual signal in a digital port.  The difference between a bit and a line is that the bit refers to the actual data transferred, and the line refers to the hardware the bit is transferred on.  However, the term line and bit are fairly interchangeable.  For instance, an 8-bit port is the same as a port with 8 lines.
Port -
A port is a collection of digital lines.  Usually the lines are grouped into either a 4-bit or an 8-bit port. 
A picture may be worth a thousand words in your situation.  Let me know if this is what you were looking for!

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(4,299 Views)
Neural J,

I must confess that I have never been asked anything like this before.  Here we go anyway:

A "port" is like a classroom with 8 seats. Each seat is like a "line" and could have a boy or a girl sitting in it.  A boy would be a 1 and a girl 0.
A "port" is like a group of 8 trumpet players.  Each player is like a "line".  If they are playing a note the line is high if not the line is low.

Thats all I can think of right now.  Good luck!

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(4,293 Views)
Thanks, Chad!!!
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(4,273 Views)
Thanks, Jeff!

I'll see ho I can mix all of this advice. Perhaps I'll make them play a game in which they could all be parts of a circuit, and some of the kids could be electrons. Hahaha.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(4,271 Views)