Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Available Trigger Lines for PXI 2521

When I look at the PXI 2521 specification, it says the PXI input trigger lines 0-7 are supported. I am trying to route a Data Marker Event from my function generator (PXI 5402) to these switches. But when I view the Device Routes for the PXI 2521 in NI-MAX, it doesn't show these lines as available as a source; it only shows TrigIn and AdvComplete. 

What am I doing wrong here? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,277 Views)

Hello,

My name is Hyrum, from Applications Engineering, the reason why you only see two triggers on NI MAX, is because the switch itself only has a Trigger in and a Trigger out. Those then have sources that you configure in LabVIEW or other programming language. I hope you find this useful. 

Regards,

Sal H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,263 Views)

jvavra,

Don't think of sources as places where we can output a signal. Think of sources as terminals on the FPGA of the switch. In that behalf, TrigIn and AdvComplete are the only sources on these devices.

That doesn't mean that we can't output a signal from the device to the PXI_TrigX lines. It just means that we output a signal from the AdvComplete terminal of the FPGA and route it to the PXI_TrigX Line.

Examples

Output trigger onto PXI_Trig0:

You can route AdvComplete to PXI_Trig0. This allows a signal to be sent from the FPGA to the AdvComplete terminal, which is then sent to PXI_Trig0 on the PXI Backplane.

Read trigger from PXI_Trig1:

You can route TrigIn to PXI_Trig1. This allows a signal to be sent from the PXI Backplane to  PXI_Trig1 on the PXI Backplane, which is then sent to TrigIn on the FPGA.

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,253 Views)

jvavra,

Also, the software doesn't really look like that table anyways and is in fact much simpler. You simply set up a scan-list and configure trigger inputs.

For example:

If you wanted your PXI 5402 to output a trigger and have it reach your switch, you would:

1. Set up your PXI 5402 to output to PXI_Trig0.
  2. (for large chassis) Make sure that triggers are properly set up via this KB.
  3. Set up a scan list for your switch (aka. what does switch do when triggers are received).
  4. Configure your switch to look on PXI_Trig0 (also know as TTL0) using the following VI configuration. 

Triggers.PNG

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,252 Views)