Smartphones, Tablets, and Mobile Devices Documents

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting and Support | Data Dashboard for LabVIEW

by Member pjtanz on ‎11-15-2011 01:21 PM

Problem: A Data Dashboard Mobile for LabVIEW download link leads nowhere. I can't find anywhere to install Data Dashboard for LabVIEW on my iPhone.

Data Dashboard Mobile for LabVIEW is no longer available on iTunes. After the release of iOS 8, Data Dashboard is no longer supported on iPhone. Data Dashboard for LabVIEW is still fully supported on iPad and Android tablets, with more limited support on Android and Windows smartphones.

Problem: (Android) Google Play Store or the Amazon Appstore says I can't install the app. The store says my device is incompatible.

Data Dashboard for LabVIEW 1.0 for Android requires Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) or higher, and Data Dashboard 2.0 requires a supported Android tablet running Android 4.0 or later. Additionally, the device's processor must support ARMv7 instructions. If you receive a "your device is incompatible" message from one of the app stores when trying to install Data Dashboard, your device is either using an Android version lower than those supported or has a different CPU than ARMv7.

Problem: I don't know how to use LabVIEW Shared Variables

LabVIEW provides access to a wide variety of technologies for creating distributed applications. The shared variable introduced in LabVIEW 8 is a major step forward in simplifying the programming necessary for such applications. For an introduction and detailed information, visit Using the LabVIEW Shared Variable.

Problem: I don't know how to use LabVIEW Web Services

LabVIEW provides tools to easily build RESTful Web services.  For frequently asked questions regarding Web services in LabVIEW, visit LabVIEW Web Services FAQ. Data Dashboard 2.0 for iPad and Android tablets can connect to secure LabVIEW web services. For more information on LabVIEW web service security, visit LabVIEW Web Services Security.

Problem: I can't connect to the Shared Variable Engine

1. Try using both the computer name and the IP address of the machine running the Shared Variable Engine.
  2. Try the steps outlined in the KnowlegeBase: Troubleshooting Network Published Shared Variables.
  3. Ensure all the necessary ports are open for Shared Variable communication.  KnowledgeBase: Configuring LabVIEW, LabVIEW DSC and Lookout to Work With the Windows Firewall.

Public Knowledge Base

KnowledgeBase 5RL8J6DO: Supported Shared Variable and Web Service output data types for Data Dashboa...

KnowledgeBase 5RL8J6DO: Data Dashboard Incorrectly Reports a Variable is Not Accessible Over the Net...

Still need help?

Check out the Data Dashboard Product Support page for useful help articles, try posting your question to the NI Discussion Forum, or call our Applications Engineers for phone support

Comments
Member Steve

Can you give us an example of a well-formed Server Name? When adding a connection to a shared variable, do you list the server name (or IP address), or do you also add the name of the shared variable library? Do you include whacks?

Should it be something like 10.0.0.10, or is it \\10.0.010\weather data\ ?

Active Participant AdamKemp
Active Participant

You only need to enter the DNS name or IP address of the server (and the port number for web services if you are not using the default). You do not have to enter any URL syntax or library name or anything at all other than the name or IP of the server. Once it successfully connects to the server it will list the available libraries or web services, and you can just browse to the variable you want.

Member carl-oskar

What are the requirements for the mobile device under Android? I have a LG-P990 running Android 2.2.2 and it is not supported...

Active Participant

The Android version requires Android 2.3 or later.

Member EngineerMich

Tried to download App, and iPhone says that this App is incompatible with this iPhone.  I'm new to the iPhone, and the iPhone is a 3GS according to the friend who gave it to me.  Is there a firmware update?

Active Participant

The Data Dashboard Mobile application should work on any 3GS or later model running iOS 4.3 or later. Check that you have iOS 4.3 installed, and double-check that you actually have an iPhone 3GS. The 3G actually ran a different processor, and our application will not run on the older processor.

Member EngineerMich

Thank you.  No, it was not running iOS 4.3.  Is it easier to develop apps for the iPhone or the Android, or does it matter?  Does the UI on top of Andoid phones create difficulty in developing an app?

Active Participant

Do you mean developing native apps directly using the platform SDKs or are you asking if using Data Dashboard itself is harder on Android or iOS? The app is mostly the same between the two platforms. If you're asking about developing a native app then this isn't really the right place to ask that question.

Member creative36912

Should IP address be something like 10.0.0.10, or  \\10.0.010

Active Participant

No. You never have to enter anything other than the name or IP of the server. We can infer the syntax based on whether you chose to connect to a shared variable or web service. The server name field should filter out any invalid characters.

Member creative36912

My mobile details..Sony ericsson  xperia,  Model number..     LT18i   android version  2.3.4

Can I install Data dash board in my mobile and  view the shared variable??

I have tried , but showing connection error(((Unable to connect to servor,shared variable,or webservice ,verify the wireless connection is enabled,the server is available,a nd the variable or  webservice is still present on that server)))

Active Participant

If you are getting that error then obviously you were able to install. That error means the application can't seem to access your server. That could be several things. The most likely problem is that you have a firewall blocking your access. Check out the troubleshooting steps in the document above (listed under "Problem: I can't connect to the Shared Variable Engine").

Active Participant D60
Active Participant

Hello,

I saw the minimum os requirement is 2.3.3

http://www.amazon.com/National-Instruments-Data-Dashboard-LabVIEW/dp/B006MLHUTU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&q...

Is there any detailed documentation which devices are supported?

My Galaxy Ace phone is not supported.

Member malcolmsmith

Hi D60,

Are you having trouble getting the app from the (Google) Play Store, or the Amazon Appstore? And can you confirm that you have Android 2.3.3 or later (visible in Settings > System > About Device or similar)?

The minimum requirements should just be Android 2.3.3, and the ability to use the Play Store or Amazon Appstore. All screen sizes should be supported (phone and tablet).

Active Participant D60
Active Participant

Hello,

I have checked it again, the Android version is 2.3.6 on my Galaxy Ace. I've tried to install the NI Dashboard app via Amazon but it shows an error: "There was an error purchasing Data Dashboard for LabVIEW. Please click here...."

Any idea?

Active Participant D60
Active Participant

From Google Play, I have a message: This item is not compatible with device: Samsung GT-S5830i  So, If only the Android 2.3.3. is the only requirement why should I get this error?

Member malcolmsmith

I looked up the specs of your device, and I noticed that it only supports ARMv6 instructions. Currently someone of the native code that the Android version of Data Dashboard uses requires ARMv7, so unfortunately it doesn't look like it'll run on your phone right now.

Active Participant D60
Active Participant

Dear Malcolmsmith,

Thank you very much the answer! Could you tell me where did you find this description about this restriction?

Member malcolmsmith

I'm actually one of the developers for Data Dashboard, so we doublechecked the ARM instruction version we were using here. I added a note in this troubleshooting doc that ARMv7 or later is required - maybe that should be noted in the app store descriptions too.

Member Alan@pworx

Hi, I loaded the app on my HTC Desire HD with no problem & set up a few shared variables. Works like a charm! You mention multiple readouts, but I can only get one readout per page, so I have to scroll to get different variable readings -can't find a place to edit the display.

Active Participant

Hi, Alan. The phone versions of Data Dashboard are limited to one indicator per page due to the limited screen real estate. The tablet versions allow up to 6 indicators per page.

Member Alan@pworx

Pity, thanks

Member lucchris

If I want to see more indicators on a smart phone (or old pda) I am using the web server of Labview to publish complete screens. I have a HTC with android version 2.3.5 and even the screen updates work automatically. On Windows Mobile you have to use the refresh button. Of course, it is only possible to view data then, not to write.

Active Participant vitoi
Active Participant

Data Dashboard will allow control and indicators for iPad next month. http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14033/en

Active Participant

Spoilers! If you are at NIWeek then be sure to check out tomorrow's (Wednesday's) keynote for an update on what we are doing with Data Dashboard. Also, I will be demoing it at a session titled "Smartphones and Tablets for Measurement and Control" (room 19A) after the keynote.

Active Participant vitoi
Active Participant

Data Dashboard is one of my areas of interest, so I look forward to hearing more. My other area of interest is microcontroller programming usign LabVIEW. Once these two are done well, I'll be happy.

Active Participant vitoi
Active Participant

Apologies for stealing your thunder Adam. Hopefully the NI Week attendees are too busy looking at all the exciting goodies and partying to get on these forums too often. Good luck with your presentation tomorrow.

(You should talk to the marketing department and get them to announce this stuff after the NI Week presentations.)

Member Joshf64

I can see the web service and even the title of the variable I'm trying to look at, but when I select it and hit run it just loads for a while and gives me an exclamation  point. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Member triviper

I also had problems using data dashboard for Andriod when publishing shared variables from a PC that I use for development purposes and where I have deployed network shared variable to over a dozen remote targets such as compact RIO. I was told to go into services in Windows and insure that the variable engine is turned on.

I treid this and still could not see shared variables from this PC on a brand new Nexus 7 running the newest version of Android. However, I was able to see shared variables from another PC very similar to this one so I assume it is the PC configuration and NOT the tablet or the data dashboard.

That said, I hope that NI spends some more effort getting Data Dashboard V2 (controls) out for Android ASAP.

Active Participant

Josh, try accessing the web service from a browser (ideally on your device) and see if it returns data. The URL will be "http://[servername]:[portnumber]/[webservicename]/[webmethodname]/". The output should look something like this:

<Response>
  <Terminal>
    <Name>Terminal 1</Name>
    <Value>0</Value>
  </Terminal>
  <Terminal>
    <Name>Terminal 2</Name>
    <Value>0</Value>
  </Terminal>
</Response>

If you can access your web service and get an XML result then try pasting the contents here. Maybe we can determine what is going wrong.

Active Participant

triviper, Data Dashboard 2 will only be available for iPad. At this time we do not have any plans to add features to the Android versions. We are keeping an eye on the market, but so far iPad market share has only increased, and Android tablets seem to be going nowhere. Considering the signifcant amount of effort it takes to support Android (more than for iPad) it just doesn't make sense for us to invest in it right now. TL;DR: Don't hold your breath for new Android features. Sorry.

Member gdvorak

Out of curiousity, are there plans for Windows 8? RT or regular? How about windows phone 8?

Active Participant

At NIWeek we demoed a prototype of Data Dashboard 1.0 for Windows 8. We are still working on that, but I don't believe we have announced a release date. Just to set expectations: we are not currently working on DD 2.0 for Windows 8. The Windows 8 version will be similar in features and UI to the current 1.0 versions on Android and iOS tablets. That is, fixed layouts and indicators only. The good news is that on the x86 version of Windows 8 you could just run a full LabVIEW application.

We are not currently working on a Windows Phone 8 version, which doesn't even have a released SDK yet (only a preview program). Also, so far Windows Phone has less market share than BlackBerry...

Member triviper

I was already told (repeatedly) by other NI sources that you will not be supporting Dashboard for Android for some time after it is released for Apple iPad.

I was just making a comment on the problem joshf64 was saying anout seeing web services (in my case shared variables) on Android using data dashboard.

Both issues are related however, NI continues to be LESS THAN SUPPORTIVE for its products that deploy to mobile devices.

And it seems that it is completely ignoring Android users (non-Apple developers) at this time which is IMO poor customer service,

gdvorak had a GREAT question.... If NI is not going to support Android for mobile devices, then what about Windows 8?

Can we expect a 6+ month lag in developers tools for this platform as well?

I understand it is the largest market share RIGHT NOW, but why so biased for Apple iPad when you know the future is probably going to be LESS Apple and MORE Windows and Android?

Member Raul.Ionel

Hello,

I would like to say that Mr. Triviper has a good point. At least in my opinion.

I am currently working for a project and I have encouraged my students to become more familiar with NI products, especially DD. In our case, we have developed some Labview measurement apps and we have successfully used DD on Android Tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab). Our students were quite impressed and thrilled to see such a possibility of remotely viewing your measurement data.

So now, with the DD2 only available for IOS (as I understand), we are faced with the idea that Android based devices will be somehow left behind. So the affirmation that "At this time we do not have any plans to add features to the Android versions....Don't hold your breath for new Android features." sort of questions our admiration for NI curstomer support. I am not an economist, a financial analyst, etc. However, I am a fan of NI products (for the last 10 years) and I believe in offering support for the trusted customer.

Member triviper

Thanks for seconding my conclusions! Sometimes I feel like I am talking to a wall when I am dealing with NI on certain issues! I was at NI Week this year and was in one of the sessions that was tlaking about DD v2 and its lack of support for Android and I asked one of the senior developers why they were so pro Apple and not supportive of the other platforms and the guy (didn't get his name) basically blew me off.

When I complained about the issues I was having with another product, the LabVIEW "mobile module" plugin that I paid an extra $1000 for when I purchased my personal developers suite a few years ago, it was supposed to be able to deploy to all kinds of mobile devices.

The problem is it DOES NOT deploy to Apple devices at all, it DOES NOT deploy to Android either! It barely deploys to Windows mobile any more.

Worthless.

I also get the "too bad so sad" attitude on this "product" as well and they will NOT give me a timeframe for an upgrade to this that will work on Android, Windows, OR Apple.

This attitude is the same in other parts of the company as well such as the training dept and sales.

All I can say is with an attitude like "TL;DR: Don't hold your breath for new Android features", customers like me are going to start looking for alternatives to NI more and more.

Ok fine. Just don't get mad when I tell the decision makers in my company that we should go with a different vendor the next time we want to spend "n" million bucks.

Active Participant

I'm sorry if my "TL;DR" part seemed disrespectful. I did not intend that. I was just trying to summarize the rest of my post and to be totally clear. I did not want you to come away with the impression that Android support was coming soon. I'm not indifferent to your frustrations, but I'm trying to be up front with you and explain our reasoning.

The issue of which platforms we support comes down to limited resources. We only have so many resources available, and a product like Data Dashboard 2.0 takes a significant investment. What we learned from DD 1.0 is that it is very difficult to support multiple mobile platforms simultaneously. Therefore we have to decide between delivering the best product that we can with the features we want on one platform or a much more limited product for multiple platforms. The current market situation shows a clear dominant player for tablets (iPad market share has increased recently even with more Android tablets available), and so we chose to produce the best app we could for iOS rather than spread our resources over multiple platforms.

Active Participant G-Money
Active Participant

Triviper, 

The LabVIEW Mobile Module was created only to target Windows Mobile and Pocket PC smartphones. Those were the predominant mobile OSes when that was released. We have now put that module into extended support. If you would like to see a module in the future that could target LabVIEW code to Android or iOS then make sure and add your vote to this idea (
http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/LabVIEW-module-for-Android-and-iOS/idi-p/1437506) if you haven't already. 

I'm sorry if you've felt "too bad so sad" attitude from NI because that is not what we are about. I am a huge Google fanatic and love Android but market share for tablets in industry are sadly skewed towards iPads at the moment. The good thing is that the mobile industry is moving at an incredible rate and if the rumors prove true about cool Android tablets coming out fall 2012 (Nexus 7 is nice but a Nexus 10 would be awesome) then market share could shift as early as next year. Knowing how the mobile industry is going to form over the next year though is still anyone's guess. Will the Windows 8 tablets take off? Will cheaper Android options swing market share their way? No one truly knows what will happen but we are watching the industry and we base our app development on industry trends. 

I know it's probably not the an answer you're looking for but LabVIEW web services are accessible from other languages so some people have created their own native apps for these mobile OSes that can interact with their applications. I've heard of Flash and AJAX/HTML apps being written as well. Not the same ease of use as DD at all but I did want to point it out as an option. 

I'm always open for feedback on Data Dashboard, so please feel free to email me (
grant.heimbach@ni.com) if you any in the future.

Active Participant G-Money
Active Participant

Joshf64,       

If you create a simple web service (one VI that adds two numbers together using two numeric controls and displays that to a numeric indicator with no strutures around it like a While Loop), does that work? Also for better support for these type of questions on Data Dashboard, make sure and post your question to the Data Dashboard support forum (http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Web-UI-Builder-and-Data/bd-p/480). We have a lot of engineers ready there to help out with any questions you might have.

Grant Heimbach

LabVIEW Product Marketing Engineer

Proven Zealot Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot

Well, Android is in fact quite a bit easier to develop applications for than iOS. No need to learn an obscure Objective C dialect that makes C++ code look trivial to understand in comparison. Simply install Eclipse, the Android SDK and ready you are. The challenge in Android lays in the fact that it is much more difficult to create an application for the Android Market that does work on all the different devices out there, with Android versions ranging from 2.2 (earlier is insignificant nowadays but not so 12 months ago) to 4.1 and devices ranging from 3 inch to 12 inch displays, with different aspect ratios, touch screen capabilities etc.

So my conclusion is that writing an Android app for a specific type of devices is quite simple, but writing one for all the possible Android devices out there almost impossible. Guess what people expect from NI!

So why not start writing some simple UI apps in the class? Java may be not the predominant programming language anymore after it's "benevolent" owner and dictator was taken over, but still a quite significant programming language to know and easy enough to learn. And Android is likely keeping that programming language on the radar for quite some time, after Google won the lawsuit about if Java as language can be copyprotected or not.

Data Dashboard has some neat UI gadgets that would take some serious Java programming to get the same functionality, but creating a small Android app that accesses a configurable set of shared variables through their http address, parsing the resulting XML style response and displaying it in some standard Android UI elements would be a very managable task to do during some programming class.

The reason nobody seems to have done it yet and put it online, is probably that it's not very profitable to develop for a market where people often expect 120% functionality for 0% costs.

Active Participant ssk
Active Participant

triviper - I sympathise with your situation, we are in a similar place. We decided to invest in the NI mobile module and even paid the £7000 GBP for the unlimited licensing option only to find out about 18 months later that the product was no longer going to be supported.

The LabVIEW product has taken a step backwards with regard to mobile support. The data dashboard I am sure is useful for a handful of applications but there are many of us who want to develop 'real' applications for mobile devices that do not rely on webservers and wifi.

Member triviper

I am sure that Apple currently has the dominant market share in tablets, just like it HAD a the largest market share in presonal computers and blew that with its propriatary HW and crappy OS's back in the day (1990's). Just like they HAD one of the largest market shares for smart phones.

They have pioneered the markets for these new devices, no doubt about it. I just personally DO NOT LIKE APPLE. Like I said, they are way too proprietary on bothe the HW and SW sides, and the costs are higher for the same performance for both HW and SW.

I just think that NI should be more supportive of IT'S OWN products and not try and ram Apple products down thier customers throats.

If I wanted to develop and deploy my applications to an Apple device, I wouldn't have been developing my code all these years on a MAC instead of a PC like NI itself recommended back in 1997 when I first started using LV.

Now I am going to have to either make a switch over to Apple in order to get modile device tools working or "hold my breath" and just net have mobile tools.

What about all the embedded developers that have purchased mucho dinero worth or Compact RIO's and other HW that is running Windows based NI SW like LabVIEW and TestStand? Don't you think they would like to integrate mobile device tools into the code they have developed for these?

So you didn't answer my (and "gdvorak"s) question....  Will we have to "hold our breath" on Windows 8 - Windows 8 Mobile support for mobile devices too?

From what I have read on this blog there are others out there that feel the same way. Too bad, so sad

Member bbergdoll

Unfortunately, this thread had devolved into platform religion.  Last couple of posts have not been helpful (and downright wrong) and is better suited for a multitude of other click driven sites.  A professional should use the best tool for the job.  Let's get the topic back on track and make it helpful. 

Don't think this is an original idea, but ideally the LabVIEW UI Web Builder would generate HTML5 code rather than Silverlight.  Then any client can connect.  Maybe something like IBM's Maqetta but with NI technologies and widgets and generates closer working code.  Something that gets us 75-90% there and maybe the rest is hand coded.

A mobile version of Measurement Studio could turn out to be platform whack-a-mole and would someone would be upset when left out even for valid business, support, or technical reasons (see this thread).  But would be a nice option for those who what to build native apps.

Member triviper

That's YOUR opinion... as they say, everybody has one. Are you the moderator of this blog or something?

BTW - I really don't appreciate my concerns about NI customer support being brushed aside and my opinions belittled. Thanks for that.

My valid questions that pertain (unlike yours) to the original topic of NI support for mobile devices and dashboard support remain unanswered:

If NI is not going to support Android on mobile devices for "-inf", then what about Windows 8 support?

Active Participant

I responded to the question about Windows 8 support above (https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-19388#comment-23921). That is as much as I can say.

Member triviper

Sorry. Thanks

Member gdvorak

Thanks for the response on Windows 8 Adam. I didn't see it right away and almost asked again. I figured the x86 version would run Labview as an installed program, meaning a developer could create an application and deploy it. This would negate the need for Data Dashboard on a windows 8 x86 tablet/pc/whatever. That's the route I plan on going.

So officially, your not commenting on Windows 8 RT? I guess the most obvious answer as to why Windows 8 RT wouldn't be supported is that if there are windows 8 x86 tablets can run deployed labview apps, why bother making it work for windows 8 RT?

And about that market share....WHAT???? WINDOWS PHONE ISN'T AT THE TOP YET????(j/k) Yeah I understand the lack of drive to develop anything for Windows 8 phone since the market share is so low (and sadly not taking off...yet). It's just annoying at work when the other programmer can see variables on his phone and I can't...(cause I don't drink the apple/android kool-aid...). However, with the release of Windows 8 and the idea of "one-ecosystem", wouldn't this make it easiter to make an app for windows 8 phones no?

As I'm an engineer (and not a programmer), part of the reason I use LabVIEW is because it was easy to pick up and I didn't have to go learn a full blown programming language. I'd like to stay in the "LabVIEW" sandbox when I have to develop an application. I think DD is a great tool and it's a shame to see Android support for it go (even though I personally don't use it, I've helped operators/engineers/programmers use it to troubleshoot a system).

Member Kyle_Gupton

Hi everyone -

My name is Kyle Gupton, and I work in our LabVIEW product management organization. One of my areas of focus is mobile devices. I'd like to share some thoughts and rationale behind our mobile device strategy to give you some insights into what we're thinking on this subject and what our plans are.

I joined NI in 1994 at a time when the platform landscape was extremely fragmented. We developed and supported LabVIEW on no fewer than 9 platforms: Windows (both 16- and 32-bit), Macintosh (both 68k and PowerPC), Sun Solaris 1 and 2, HP-UX 9 and 10, and Concurrent PowerMax. We also considered supporting other platforms during this era, including BeOS and OS/2 Warp, but chose not to. As the years went by, the desktop platform landscape and the requirements of our market consolidated around Windows, Mac, and Linux, with the vast majority of our customers on Windows. Questions of platform support have always been challenging and often emotion-laden. There are many dimensions that we must consider when we look at the subject: customer desires, market share, technical capabilities, quality of developer tools, estimated return on investment, and so on. We have to create plans that respect all of these realities even if they must give greater weight to some over others. And because we are committed to running a responsible business that will exist for the long-term, it means that we must inevitably make difficult choices about what to invest in from a landscape that offers many more potential options than we could possibly choose.

The last several years have seen a similar fragmentation arise in the mobile device space. Just over two years ago, before the release of the iPad, there was no tablet with sufficient adoption to warrant investment from us. Things have obviously changed, and the overall platform landscape may be as challenging now as it has ever been in my career. Because of the realities of this very dynamic market and our own resource constraints, we are now making some of those difficult choices with respect to mobile devices. In this situation, the difficult choice is between functionality depth and platform breadth. We've chosen to prioritize functionality depth over platform breadth for now. I'm adding this emphasis to clarify that this priority is the priority at the moment, not necessarily forever. Eventually we may have to go broader to other platforms, depending on what happens in market.

What the dominant tablet platform(s) will be in the future is currently unknown. There are many opinions on the subject, but for now, we are choosing to "go deep" on the tablet platform that is dominant, the iPad. If Android tablets had nearly 80% market share, we would have chosen Android. The key is that we are most interested in tablets, and we are going where the clear majority of the users are. In addition, we have a significant presence in education. Because that is one of Apple's strongest markets and because tablets will quite likely change the way computing is done in the classroom, we must have a plan that respects that position. What we do in the future depends on how the market takes shape. It could be that Windows 8 tablets will make significant inroads. It could be that the latest generation of Android tablets will give that platform a boost it hasn't yet had. It could be that Apple's closed ecosystem will result in an inevitable decline. Or maybe none of these things will happen and something we're not even considering will. The main thing to take from this is that we are constantly watching the situation and will adapt our plans accordingly.

Another subject that is commonly discussed is HTML5. The promise of HTML5 is that it will allow developers to develop cross-platform apps so that we can satisfy all of our users with a limited investment. Unfortunately, our research and investigation has shown us that HTML5 is currently not capable of creating apps that will satisfy the demands of our customers. A good example of another company that has learned this the hard way is Facebook. They recently replaced their problematic HTML5-based iOS apps with much, much better native apps. Mark Zuckerberg has called the choice of HTML5 one of the biggest strategic mistakes the company has made.

That said, we are developing our next version of Data Dashboard with an eye to portability. Specifically the architecture of the product is based around a portable core that will allow us some amount of reuse when going to a different platform. So while we are focusing our developing on iPad now, we are laying the groundwork to expand or change that choice in the future as best we can at this point.

I do hope that the above gives everyone some perspective on the challenges we face when creating products for the mobile device market. I also appreciate everyone's comments on this subject. Though our next release of Data Dashboard for LabVIEW is targeted specifically at the iPad, it's good to know that the app has enough motivating functionality that you all want it on other platforms. That is a good problem for us to have, much better than releasing a product that no one wants.

Finally, I want to make sure that everyone knows what we have today in Data Dashboard, and what we will have in the near future:

Data Dashboard 1.0 for LabVIEW - This product is available today for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. We are currently working on a version of this product for Windows 8 RT tablets and plan to release it later this fall. This 1.0 product will continue to exist for all platforms except the iPad, which will soon be updated to version 2.0:

Data Dashboard 2.0 for LabVIEW - We will soon release this product for iPad. If you install the update, it will update your Data Dashboard 1.0 app, but any dashboards that you have already configured will be preserved. By "soon" I mean in the next few weeks or so. Because we have to go through Apple's app review process, the specific date is not within our control.

Anyway, hopefully this rather long post is helpful in understanding our thought process and the seriousness with which we take such challenges.

Sincerely,

Kyle Gupton

National Instruments

Active Participant vitoi
Active Participant

Adam, interesting to hear "What we learned from DD 1.0 is that it is very difficult to support multiple mobile platforms simultaneously". Why not also implement a standard web browser (without any plugins) LabVIEW user interface. This way, the one development effort will be applicable for all devices (mobile and otherwise). Also, my understanding is that it is easer to develop a web app than a native app. Any loss in performance will be made up in universality.

I’ve raised a new LabVIEW Idea Exchange entry (see http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/LabVIEW-mobile-device-user-interface-using-web-browser... ).

You mentioned that “The issue of which platforms we support comes down to limited resources.”. Reading through the forums and the LabVIEW Idea Exchange, the two significant requests from LabVIEW user/customers are:

1) A standard web browser LabVIEW user interface, and

2) LabVIEW able to target a selection of microcontrollers.

If NI put just 10% of the over 2,000 R&D staff to work on these two highly requested user/customer features then it would do more to increase LabVIEW sales than what the other 90% of the R&D staff work on. Yes, it’s a matter of limited resources and priorities, but it would be great to have 10% of the R&D staff working on user/customer identified prioritised tasks. Try it, it would do wonders for the NI share price.