SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

signal express record from 3rd party VI driver

Hi,

Highlight - Can I record data from a 3rd party VI driver in signal express?

Detail - I am tasked with developing a 'easy to use' data logging system for both voltage and temperature. Voltage will be logged via a NI cDAQ module, no problem here, temperature however will be logged from a LakeShore temperature controller, ie from a third party driver. My first thoughts were to use Signal express rather than coding my own GUI, obviously SE is easy to use for cDAQ Voltage modules.... but has it been crippled to prevent the use of VI drivers for third party kit? 

Ideally I would like multiple series plotted and recorded by Signal Express, some from the cDAQ modules and some from one or more Lakeshore temperature controller and monitors, is this fundamentally possible in Signal Express? I can see that SE seems to have the ability to run labview VI's so I am hopefull! 

I am using NI 2013 - full bells and whistles.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,776 Views)

Reading around somemore, since the Lakeshore drivers do not support IVI driver technology I cannot use the lake shore drivers in Signal Express? Unless someone can sugguest an alternative, perhaps a custom IVI wrapper for the Plug & play driver? It looks like the best option would be a seperate VI which reads the data and passes it to SE using a shared variable.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,755 Views)

Hello wonderwizard, 

Yes you can use a Plug & Play Instrument driver. Some examples have already been created and mentioned in this Knowledge Base Article. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/BC2CE741752EE09086256FFE00779D67?OpenDocument

Hope this helps.

Shazil M.
CLAD
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,721 Views)