cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export TDMS to UFF

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I have recorded one minute of a machine noise with the sound and vibration assistant. This temporal measure has been saved in a TDMS file. I want to export the TDMS signal to an UFF file. How can I do this?

Thank you!

Best regards

Aitor Aramburu

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,650 Views)

Here you have four examples of reading/writting UFF files from LabVIEW:

https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/labview-sound-and-vibration-toolkit/page/sndvibtk/uff58_write_r...

https://www.ni.com/en/shop/data-acquisition-and-control/application-software-for-data-acquisition-an...

In addition, there is a plugging for this file format you can use in DIAdem. I'm not sure if the plugging install support for LabVIEW, but you can try. This is the link:

https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/dataplugins/download.international-electrotechnical-commissi...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,638 Views)

Dear Sendia,

My intention is to use the sound and vibration assistant software instead of labview. Is there any option to read/write the uff files with this software?

Best regards

Aitor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,634 Views)

Hello aaramburu,

You can call a VI from S&V assistant using the step tipe "Run LabVIEW VI" and change the file format in this VI

... or you can use the step "Save to UUF58" that is build-in S&V assistant:

menu option.JPG

These are the only two options. You can find and example about UFF58 files in the S&V example directory.

Check this thread for more information:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/UFF-Specifications/m-p/585032?requireLogin=False

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(8,628 Views)

In the Sound and Vibration Assistant, it sounds like you have the machine vibration data saved in a TDMS 'Log' file. If that is the case, then you can switch to the Playback work area. Add Step>>Load/Save Signals>>Save to UFF58. When you drop the step, verify that the desired log is selected as the input to the step. Before running the project, go the playback options tab and select the block size so that all samples will be played back in one iteration (UFF58 format doesn't support streaming). Press the Run button to generate the UFF58 file.

Saving%20TDMS%20Log%20to%20UFF58[1].JPG

Message Edited by dsb@NI on 02-10-2010 12:28 AM
Doug
NI Sound and Vibration
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,616 Views)
If you wish to save directly to a UFF58 file in future measurements, you can configure the acquisition to read one large block of data and write this directly to UFF rather than writing to a log if that is just an intermediate storage mechanism. If your computer has the memory, SVA and SignalExpress can easily handle block sizes >1M samples. Both routes produce identical UFF files.
Doug
NI Sound and Vibration
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,614 Views)

Thank you!

I have recieved  a 30 seconds vibration signal in UFF format. I want to visualize it with the sound and vibration software. The steps I have done are:

1. Open sound and vibration assistant
  2. Add step-->Load from UFF58.

Where do I have to load the signal? In "monitor/record" or in "playback"? I'm not be able to visualize the 30 seconds of the vibration.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(8,607 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author aaramburu

The Steps in the Load/Save Signals menu function in both types of work areas. Use the monitor/record work area so that your timing isn't dependent on any selected log file. After adding the Step: Load from UFF58, select the file you wish to post process, Run (Once) the project, and drag the output of the step to the Display.

Read and Display Time Data from UFF.JPG

You can also process the data with other steps by right-clicking on the "time waveforms" signal and Select Send To. This will show you a palette of all the steps that operate on the time waveforms. For machine vibration data, the following Steps may make sense:

Analysis>>Time-Domain Measurements>>Vibration Level

Analysis>>Frequency-Domain Measurements>>...

Analysis>>Order-Domain Measurements>>... (especially if one of the saved signals is a tachometer signal or has a strong order-related component that can be used as a speed reference)

Hope this helps. 

Doug
NI Sound and Vibration
Message 8 of 8
(8,603 Views)